Got Milk?....yes I got Milk!

Notices

Got Milk?....yes I got Milk!

Old 06-24-2002, 12:48 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got Milk?....yes I got Milk!

O.K here we go... I know we have beat this subject to death but here we go again. I've got water in my oil.....at first I thought it was a oil temp problem(condensation) it was in both motors, I changed thermastats and ran it another weekend...the water has warmed up alot! from low 50's to now in the mid 60's...well one of them cleaned up great but one has some serious milkage going on...its coming out the breathers...well after doing some searching on the subject I've come to the conclusion that it must be one of three things, the first and worst....head gasket,or second intake gasket...or maybe its what Tinkerboater posted a while back about an exhaust diverter problem...I have noticed that when the silent choice is engaged its abnormally loud...I thought it was just hanging up and was'nt closing completely could that put water in the oil? well what do you guys think? I know that I have to start with a compression test and go from there but I thought I would ask you guys for your input first....I've got all next week off guess what I'm doing??????
Don
Old 06-24-2002, 01:08 PM
Registered

Check your exhaust springs ... That's what got mine!
Old 06-24-2002, 01:08 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A compression test would be helpful, but I'd really like to see the numbers from a leak down test. I've seen engines with fair compression have terrible leakdown.

Have you check your exhaust for reversion? Before tearing your motors apart, I'd start by making sure you are not getting any reversion. And if you are getting enough reversion to milk your oil (which is possible) then, I'd seriously consider R&Ring the exhaust valves before one drops.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:19 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

well its a new motor last year.....only aboy 60hrs on it dont really think the exhaust springs are going away yet but anything is possible...as for reversion well thats what would be happening if my exhaust Y pipe was blocked by the flapper right? Well thats happened to me before(reversion) but it dosent act like that....runs great!
Old 06-24-2002, 01:28 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Guess I was wondering if there was a gasket that could be leaking? ie riser gasket or a cracked tube.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:31 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

new exhaust last year at rebuild....Emi's hope it aint them....
Old 06-24-2002, 08:18 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

TTT, anyone else have any input? damn this thing has me all worked up ,havent slept since 3:00 am. How does a leak down work Cord? can I do it myself or do I need to pay someone?
Old 06-25-2002, 12:03 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

go to http://www.sterndrives.com/ go to the mercruiser service bulletins link and then to the bulletins link on the next page. There are a couple that deal with water in both the oil and in the engine, they are pretty detailed and they also tell you what to do to diagnose various problems.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:07 AM
Banned

If you are sure that it isn't reversion, and I doubt it is, and the manifolds and risers are in good shape, my number one suspect would be the intake manifold.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:43 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

I talked to TinkerBoater last night and he told me to pressurise my cooling to around 15lbs and see if it leaks down ......anyone ever done this?

Quick Reply: Got Milk?....yes I got Milk!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.