Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Getting fresh air into engine compartment. >

Getting fresh air into engine compartment.

Notices

Getting fresh air into engine compartment.

Old 06-24-2002, 07:13 PM
Intolerant1

Default Getting fresh air into engine compartment.

When I crack open my sunpad/engine hatch, Im picking up 1-1.5mph. Not really inclined to cut holes in sides of boat. Thinking of a couple bilge blowers working in reverse to bring in air. Maybe duct it nice right to the intake? Any ideas ?

Old 06-24-2002, 07:37 PM
GeoGraphics INC

You have to see if the boat is either starving for air or if you need to let the warm air out,as that will have a detrimental effect on your performance as well.

Old 06-24-2002, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Be carefull with opening the engine hatch. I was out on lake MI. this last saturday running 70 mph and it was a pretty smoth ride untill I hit a mess of boat wakes. With the new drives the boat goes up and flies flat. The hatch came up and the wind caught it and tried to rip it off the boat. Now I have to repair the spot where the lift used to connect to the hatch. I plan on buying the newer style air intakes that are on the new SCARABS. And yes I also gained about the same.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over on the Baja Board a while back, OTIS311 said he saw something like 3mph by cracking the hatch on his 29 Outlaw while at WOT. I have not yet had the ball$ to try it for fear of the wind ripping it off.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:13 AM
Intolerant1

Well the wind only blows in the low to mid 50's at best for us

I have two vents on the transom above the swim platform. They have wave boxes (best description) on the inside to keep following seas out. Maybe ill just reverse wires on my existing blower on duct tape the hose up near the flame arrestor. If that helps then I know which way to go. Hmmmm...maybe a power inverter and a leaf blower

Old 06-25-2002, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaf Blower seems to be a good idea. But must be mounted on the outside for a special hp look.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:48 AM
supercrash

Well you could say that your boat has a blower then...

Old 06-25-2002, 06:45 PM
Allan4

Same results, same question. I get an immediate 100 rpm and about 1 mph. Need to figure out how to pipe in some fresh air. As mentioned, keep in mind you will need an exit as well to achieve air flow. Maybe one in the front of the bay, one on the opposite side in back for exit, give a nice cross flow....in theory of course.

Old 06-25-2002, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you guys need leashes on all of those cracked open engine hatches...just in case....I'm thinking that the speed gains are not from more air, but from cooler air near the carb\air intake. Cooler air is more dense, mixes with more gas = more power. OK, so i guess it is more air. Putting a reversed bilge blower in a properly ducted vent would probably just slow down the flow of fresh air. But what do i know.....ive been sitting at my desk at work for 11 hours......

McGary
Old 06-25-2002, 10:15 PM
Intolerant1

Getting cooler air to the carb is all Im talking about. There just isnt any circulation back there. When you think of the horspower it takes to gain 2 mph, or the cost of labbing a prop for a similar gain, there has to be a way to do this. Intercooled non-blower motor?

Quick Reply: Getting fresh air into engine compartment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.