Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oil Filters?? >

Oil Filters??

Notices

Oil Filters??

Old 06-26-2002, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any comments on the Mercury Filters that come on the engines ? Also, could someone expound on why paper is bad.

I also have some 500 EFI's on the way. I have always used Mercury filters with no oil/filter related problems on 454 Mag EFI's.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:04 AM
Registered

Too Old -

I'veheard from people with problems on System 1, but they all were from quite a while ago. A local race shop has been using them exclusivly for the last several years with no problems. Scoggin Dickey Chevrolets performance group also uses them. Hopefully their quality is improved. I've had no problems so far.
I've had about a dozen "regular" filters that shut down suddenly, so I keep a real close eye on the oil pressure at all times.

h2owarrior -

The problem with paper elements is they swell from very small amounts of water (like you can get from condensation or a pin hole leak in a riser, even the porosity of aluminum blocks) and stop flowing oil. It takes much less water than you will ever notice as "milk" in the oil. If you have a bypass, you will never know it. The oil bypasses, the pressure stays the same, and the filter justs sets there. If you don't have a bypass (I don't) then the oil flow stops, pressure goes to zero, and it can all happen in 1-2 minutes at idle, less at running speeds.

-Greg
Old 06-27-2002, 08:27 AM
Registered

Sounds a lot like the responce I got from AC when I sent in the first filter that died. I thought it might have been a bad filter, as I'd never heard of such a ting as filters simply stopping to flow with less than an hour of run time on them. In the end they only said "water in oil, no liability". They never would answer how MUCH water it took. Wasn't till I talked to some sprint car guys running aluminum block motors that I found out the filters die with so little water you will never notice it in the oil, even when draining it and checking real close for any. Took a long time to believe it, as everyone has heard of engines running with "milky" oil due to water. They only were able to still run due to the bypass skipping the filter.

I'll keep a close eye on the System 1 filters and let you know if I run into any problem. So far I've got more time in the boat this spring than all of the last 2 years chasing that problem.

-Greg
Old 06-27-2002, 08:59 AM
Registered

I am still curious about the Mercury filters.