Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Hydromotive to a Bravo1-What to do? >

Hydromotive to a Bravo1-What to do?

Notices

Hydromotive to a Bravo1-What to do?

Old 06-25-2002, 06:13 PM
bajah2x105

Lightbulb Hydromotive to a Bravo1-What to do?

I'm running a 30p QIV at @5100. Would like to try a Bravo for more speed. Will the Bravo be faster with more bow lift and do I need to step up in pitch due to the smaller diameter(32?). The QIV is 16" diameter. My rev limit is 5400 on this 24' hull. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-25-2002, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll actually need to step down in pitch to get your rpm's back up to your rev limit. A 30P Bravo 1 actually responds more like a 29 or 28 pitch (so i've heard). With that along with the smaller diameter, you should increase your rpm's. Then if it still isn't quite enough, lab it. My $.02.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:56 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,904 Likes on 957 Posts

Probably going to need a 32 Bravo to keep the rpms the same and not bump the rev limiter. I would definately try both a 30 and 32 though.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:53 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree w/ Griff.

Bravos are a little light on their pitch compared to a Bravo.

On my old boat, a 24 pitch hydro had similar rpms to a 26 bravo.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 06-26-2002, 08:06 PM
kook

Any idea where @ what rpm your hp peaks at? Depending on your motor, your rev peak power may be several hundren rpm or more lower than the rev limiter. You wanna be at peak hp, not peak rpm..... but you probably knew that.

Yes, the Bravo will provide more bow lift (or less stern lift - same diff, IMHO).

Old 06-26-2002, 10:37 PM
bajah2x105

It sounds like the 32p may be a good place to start. I would like to keep the rpm's the same for now because my ecm tune seems to be pulling out some major timing past 5000. My rev limit is at 5400 but I think it would be a waste of time trying to get more speed there. I'm still wondering if the Bravo will give me a bit more top end due to the bow lifting nature of this prop compared to the Hydro. Sort of less hull dragging in the water to scub speed. Anyone know the # of a good therapist? These what if's drive me NUTZ! Thanks for the help guys and keep it coming if it sounds good.

Old 06-27-2002, 07:18 AM
kook

Originally posted by bajah2x105
I'm still wondering if the Bravo will give me a bit more top end due to the bow lifting nature of this prop compared to the Hydro. Sort of less hull dragging in the water to scub speed.
You won't know until you try - every hull is different. Most likely, you WILL see an increase of at least a few mph at cruise speed. Top end, from my understanding, the Hydro tends to be better - people are getting lower slip #'s. You won't know until you try. Getting a used Bravo1 in that size should not be a problem....... Getting a used Hydro is harder.

Something else to condsider when you try the Bravo1 is "feel" - how stable does the boat feel at speed, compared to the Hydro? If you gain a couple mph with the Bravo1, but it doesn't feel as stable, then you have to ask "is it really worth it"? .02

Old 06-27-2002, 03:56 PM
bajah2x105

Kook, You are very correct. The speed is a waste if the boat is dangerous to drive. That is the main reason for getting the Hydromotive to begin with. I will test in good water when I can come across a Bravo to try. Whatever the result, it's gonna be
interesting to see. I think I'll try with my wife on the sidelines. This will be a good test to see if my hull is at the end of it's forgiveness too I will keep you guys posted on the results-but now I have to find a 32p Bravo for borrow. Any givers? Will pay to play!!! Thanks...

Old 06-27-2002, 06:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check with Mike at Dollar Offshore,they have labbed 32's for $750,if it doesnt work send it back and you will only be out $50 test fee plus freight.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:39 PM
bajah2x105

Thumbs up

Thanks INDY! That sounds like the perfect way to go. Hate to ask but do you have a # or link for them? If not I'm sure I will find it sooner or later. Man what a hobby-$1000 per mph from here on in. I should have taken up painting! Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Hydromotive to a Bravo1-What to do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.