Blowing out my dip stick?

Notices

Blowing out my dip stick?

Old 06-28-2002, 08:57 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 542 Posts

I know this isn't the prettiest solution but I just thought of this:
It is a whole lot better than swapping the oil pan or dipstick.
Add a small hose clamp to your dipstick tube, at the top; and include in that hose clamp a strong tie-wrap (zip-tie) in a circle. Take another tie-wrap and wrap this throught that permanent loop attached to the hose clamp; and also through the loop on the pull handle of the dipstick itself. All you have to do to check your oil, is clip that tie-wrap going through the ring, and replace it when you are done, and ready to run.

I hope that helps.
Old 06-29-2002, 04:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a small hole drilled in the clamp that clams the dipstick tube in place against the head on both engines. a spring loops over to hold the dipstick in like previously stated. some blowbye is normal with forged pistons as long as it is not excessive. forged pistons expand more when heated than cast and hyperetics so they need more clearance when being built but thats the tradeoff for a stronger piston.
Old 06-29-2002, 10:28 AM
Registered

I have seen this problem if the dip stick tube is mounted to low on the front of the engine
Old 06-29-2002, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a new 502 last year that when I ran hard for any lenght of time the stick would work up. I went to new valve covers with larger breathers and it stopped doing it.
I would think with the whipple charger you may have a little more blow by than without, even with a healthy motor.
The fact that you are getting that much oil leads me to believe you may have a clogged breather. A leak down test wouldn't be a bad idea, but I suspect not enough crankcase ventilation is the problem.
Are you running stock breathers??? If you are I would install larger breathers on both valve covers.
Old 06-29-2002, 12:30 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I am going out to run the boat today, I will check the breathers. I Talked to the engine builder and he thinks the black gunk is blowing out of the sea water pump where the fuel pump cover is. He also thinks the dip stick problem is from not reving the engine high enough. My props were not right and under full power I am at only 4500 RPM. He thinks the engine is loading up. popping the dip stick out and also causing my black transom. I will be trying some different props today.
Old 06-29-2002, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Ya know, in that picture you posted the oil did look awfully dark, he might be on to something with the pump idea!!
Old 06-29-2002, 06:49 PM
Registered

Raypanic
This is a common problem with blower engines, the trick is drill a small hole in bracket that holds the tube and attach a spring from loop in dip stick to hole you drilled.