Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What do I set my timing to? >

What do I set my timing to?

Notices

What do I set my timing to?

Old 06-28-2002, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thunderbolt V ignition system has not been used much by high performance enging builders because of the inability to advance the .timming at idle from the recommrnded 8-10*of the stock engine to the 12-18* that is sometimes needed to smooth out the idle of a modied engine.Sorry I did not make that clearer,as I am coppying this stuff out of Dennis Moore's book and I try to get just the fact's so I corrected my post.

Last edited by FloridianSon; 06-28-2002 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2002, 09:21 AM
Registered

Talked to my engine builder last night
8-12 at idle and 32 or so at 3000+
He said if you really want to go on a wild ride
Bump it to 36 but NEVER keep it there for entire summers
He said no way but for maybe a run here or run there you can bump it
I decided to stick conservative and keep max at 32 maybe 34
I am more interested in reliability and longevity in this thing than going for a faster ride and running the chance of blowing it up.
So guys, thanks
I have a date with the MERC twins tonight
Ill hopefully see you out on the water on Sunday for my test drive if your in the area of Philly PA
Thanks again brothers!!!!!!!!
Jason
Old 06-28-2002, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought your engine builder was going to dyno the engines for you. If so set the timing on the dyno under a load. Just be sure that for real world conditions not to exceed 32 deg total timing.

Ron
Old 06-28-2002, 10:17 AM
Registered

Ok then thunderbolt V connect timing light to number 1 plug, connect good tac. useing jumper wire connect the ignition system timing lead (pur/wht)to a good ground (in my manual it shows a extra dead end lead with a quick connector on it so you can hook into it there).This locks the module into the base timing mode.start engine run at normal idle speed and allow engine to reach normal temp.aim timing light and adjust timing useing the convenitional method.Be sure to take off the ground when done. Be sure to take off ground when done!!My manual shows 8*.

Last edited by FloridianSon; 06-28-2002 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-28-2002, 10:51 AM
Registered

No no dyno available at all.
sort of sucks cause I cant get actual HP im just going by what he is saying and what he has done to the engines.
He has been building engines for 35 years so I will believe him no question but would be nice to have dyno graphs in front of me in my hands though.
But oh well
Im more interested in the water testing anyway than having a form saying you have _____ HP each
I had less HP than alot of my friends in the F body world but I had a way nastier ET than them, so more seat of the pants thing to me.
Thanks guys, setting at 8-10 ish and should be good from there
by the way it is a thunder bolt 4 not 5 that I have on my rig
the MSD coils should pump out about 40-45 thou volts too have a hotter spard for more clean burn but that should not have anything to do with the actual timing of the engine
Ill start at 8* and see from there how it idles
With the sick cams that I got I have to see where to set the idle too, im thinking approximately 850 on the idle
no choke to hook back up either
Jason
Old 06-28-2002, 12:45 PM
Registered

Jayl13.......Good luck. Yea, starting at 8* will at least get you "started" and you wont be fighting engine starting if too advanced. (although you will probably end up closer to that 10+ range). Let us know how you make out.

Bob
Old 06-28-2002, 02:19 PM
Registered

I know what your thinking will this kid ever shut up . I think to find max performance you must do the water test to find out where your motor is making the max power.Don't believe your timming marks just keep on advancing till max power is found then look at the dregrees on your balancer and then if you are not looking for the edge you will get from max advance in a full race condition you can back it down 2*or to where you feel your better half won't be crawling up your butt when you tell her what you did.This to me this is the real world of max performance.

Last edited by FloridianSon; 06-28-2002 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-28-2002, 02:22 PM
Registered

I run 36 total, 18 initial. At 12 initial the motors will not idle in gear. Just be prepared to increase the initial "in case" your cam/motor stalls going into gear at the 10-12 initial of "stock" motors.

Time to get that thing out on the water

-Greg
Old 06-29-2002, 06:13 AM
Registered

Jason,

Good to see you're finally on the way.

As has been suggested, set your timing at 8-10*.

Once your motor is "run in" (after about 20hrs) then go back with the timing gun, check your total timing. Increase it 2* until you see no further increase in performance at WOT. Then go back to the last setting you had before no further increase of performance.

Example: If you continue to get increased performance to 34* you then set it to 36*. If you get the same performance at 36 you did at 34, go back to 34.

DAVE