Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Lots of steam from gil wet exhaust >

Lots of steam from gil wet exhaust

Notices

Lots of steam from gil wet exhaust

Old 06-28-2002, 12:36 PM
Mother

Question Lots of steam from gil wet exhaust

Ok, finally got the boat back on the water, still an alpha, but at least its working again...

Here is the thing- I was getting an OUTRAGEOUS amount of steam out of the exhaust for a while... I mean like enough that it was sucking back into the low pressure area caused by the boat and the people in the back seat decided to stand by the windshield..

The gas is 50% 2 yr old gas that had stabilizer added, and 50% sunoco 94 from a month ago... And it did smell a tad sour, could it just be the old gas??

The boat has freshwater cooling, there was a decent amount of raw water going into the exhaust risers, and the temp gauge was stable in the 170-180 range. The are was 100% humidity and about 75%...

If the boat had overheated I would be crying about a bad head gasket, but it couldn't have been producing that kinda steam without running out of coolant in the span of a minute or two...

Anyone have any ideas? Im just going to try to burn out as much of that gas as I can for now, and see if fresh gas helps... Gunna go check the oil for chocolate milk, couldnt really see last night after running it, as it was 10pm when I got it into the water.

Thanks in advance
--Adam