Trim gauge / senders.... >

Trim gauge / senders....

Notices

Trim gauge / senders....

Old 05-23-2012, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trim gauge / senders....

So, I did some cosmetic work on the upper and lower unit. In order to do so I removed not trim senders and tucked them in behind the fumble ring so they wouldn't get damaged by the sanding and painting. Before I took them off, I marked their orientation. I put them back on and now my trim gauge reads all the way down when the drive is all the way up (in trailer position). As soon as I bump the drive down, the gauge then reads completely up (actually needle of gauge goes way past the up position). Any ideas? Does it sound like a broken wire? I have never dealt with these senders before... Thanx in advance!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When looking at the back of the boat left side is for your running trim limit, right side is for your gauge. You probably bumped it when out and the inside turned. Have somebody in the boat watch the gauge(key on) and turn the inside while there off the ring by hand to see if the there (gauge) is working correctly.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Registered

On the velocity, at least mine, there isn't a trim limit..... There is only one switch for trim up/down and that is on my throttle handle. There is no trailer up/down button. So I am assuming I only need to focus on the starboard sender??? I guess the port sender is just there not serving a purpose.....
Old 05-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah but the other one that he mentioned limits trim so you don't go over. There's no switch connected to it.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Registered

Go over what? Under running conditions, I have always been able to trim all the way down and all the wAy up. There is no limit other that the complete travel of the drive. When putting it on the trailer I hit trim up until the drive comes all the way up at that point you can here the pump change tone. This is possible while running full throttle as well(not that I would do that). But the limit is t my concern. Just the gauge. That is why the gauge is so important. Without it I have no idea where the drive is other than feel of the boat, gps speed, and size of rooster tail behind me.....
Old 05-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the trim limit switch is supposed to stop the drive from coming out of the "saddle" supports on the sides of the gimble assembly while under power.

i understand you are trying to get your guage working, but not having that limit switch is not good cause if you were ever to go to high while up in the higher rpm range you can get the drive up and out of those supports and start breaking stuff, along with wrecking u joints and beaings ETC. if your gauge was ever to die ( like now) with that limit switch working you wouldnt have to worry about going to high whether the guage works or not.

as for your guage, them senders are known not to last too long, wires probly broke somehwere, do as someone else suggested, get some one in the seat with key on and start rotating the sender back and forth to see if it still talks to the gauge, if it does you just needs to readjust it and you back in action.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Registered

Go over what? Under running conditions, I have always been able to trim all the way down and all the wAy up. There is no limit other that the complete travel of the drive. When putting it on the trailer I hit trim up until the drive comes all the way up at that point you can here the pump change tone. This is possible while running full throttle as well(not that I would do that). But the limit is t my concern. Just the gauge. That is why the gauge is so important. Without it I have no idea where the drive is other than feel of the boat, gps speed, and size of rooster tail behind me.....
Old 05-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Registered

Oops double post...
Old 05-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Registered

Ok, so let's say I have a functioning limit switch the prevents the drive from coming up past a certain point. With only the trim up switch on my throttle, how would I get the drive into the full up/trailer position? There is no trailer up/down switch...
Old 05-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a doozie... I'd put a trailer switch in. There are pleanty of wiring diagrams to do it. I would think the Trailer switch is just bypassing the limiting sensor on the drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.