Boost Gauge w/Procharger?

Old 07-01-2002, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What motor is that 7.4L or mag?
Old 07-02-2002, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also used a gauge in the box and the manifold.

I referenced the fuel pressure regulator of the box. That is a necessity.

The boost gauge in the box I could cross reference with the fuel pressure guage. (Boost + 8)

The gauge in the manifold was what mattered for real boost in the engine. So, I wanted to know that also.

I used an 800 Holley also set up by Nickerson.

Timing is a delicate issue. It depends on your set up, ie; plugs, T-stat, heads-and work done to them, cam, etc.

If your motor is basically stock, stay with the timing marks you've mentioned.

DAVE
Old 07-02-2002, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

I thought timing should be at full advance by 3000 rpm. Not still advancing all the way to 5000...
Old 07-02-2002, 08:23 AM
NEVRENUFF

mcollinstn,
You are correct on the timing. I looked at the profile last night on the MSD info. The mechanical advance is fully out at about 27-2800 rpm.

Fasterdamitt (like that screen name)
The motor is a 454 MAG w/competition valve job, custom roller cam & rockers, ARP stud kit, Stainless Marine manifolds and risers, MSD ignition, and corsa quick & quiet plus (6.5" silencer tips). It was bone stock with S/M manifolds prior to Procharger and ran 64 mph.

Dave F,
I am running boost referenced fuel pressure (aeromotive set up) as well. It sounds like a 2nd gauge watching the box pressure is a good idea. I'm tapped out for room on the dash for gauges (older boat) but I think I'll drill & tap a hole inthe box cover and screw a gauge into it so I can at least have someone watch the pressures on a trial run. The t-stat is the 140 deg. one that comes with the Procharger kit and I drilled the (3) holes in it based in the instructions.

I set the timing last night to 10 deg BTDC at idle. With the MDS distributor using the black bushing (18 deg max), I should be at 28 deg total advance. Nickerson said to run 30 deg but I figured I'd start a bit on the conservative side. comments?

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm throwing this thing in the water on Thursday for the first time in 2 years! It has been a loonnggg spring! Hope all goes well!

Paul

Old 07-02-2002, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul,

I've sat in Dean's shop and talked to him for well over an hour on several occasions. I've had my carb up there for a "freshen up" so I get to talk to him when I drop it off and pick it up. Got the shop tour and checked out all his toys. Good guy.

We had lengthy discussions on timing and fuel delivery.

He's not a big fan of increased advance. He, (in my opinion) is the leading Pro Charger carb. set up guy, in the country.
Most of the dyno testing he does is with roots style blowers and he talked about the motor going into detonation fits after/during a run. Thats why he likes to keep the timing cut back.
On the other side of the coin, I think that there are benefits to the centrifugal/inetercooled compressors and the cold charge they allow to also guard against detonation.
I have on many occations felt the discharge pipe to the compressor before the cooler and it being very warm. After the cooler was actually cold, and I mean almost refrigerator cold.
Now, obviously that depends on raw water temp, but you get my point.

I've discussed with him the different variables of spark plug, cam and T-stat settings to stay out of detonation.

Like I said, with your motor being basically stock, using T-stat and stock plugs, keep it between 28-32*

A local guage isn't gonna help you much. You really need to see it.
If your guage panal screws into the dash, you could rig it some how.
Example: you could fab and bend some aluminum sheet, screw it into the dash using existing screw holes and mount the guage in the aluminum. Hey, just a thought. Just trying to give ya some ideas, ya know?
As far as drilling into the box, there should already be two holes in the back of the box. One for the regulator and one for your guage.

Keep me posted
DAVE
Old 07-02-2002, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nevrenuff,
Your pkg sound close to mine. Was a 454mag.Now I have a 224-236 @50 .540 lift roller. Rec port heads, rockers ect. Pro Charger 7lbs at 5100 rpm. Carb done up by the Carb Shop in Ontario Ca. Timing was at 34 when installed by American Offshore in 97. Now running 30 deg but think it can handle more since the pistons looked good at 34 on a Pro charged 454 mag.