Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Transom Leak..... >

Transom Leak.....

Notices

Transom Leak.....

Old 07-01-2002, 12:22 PM
liquid lounge

Unhappy Transom Leak.....

Since installing new motor last fall, I've had a nagging leak into my bildge. When running the motor on a hose, I don't seem to have the leak [I don't know if I've ran it on the hose long enough, though] This leads me to believe I'm taking on the water through the transom/drive assembly somewhere. I've checked the bellows and hose [Bravo 1], Have I missed somthing obvious on the drive re-install? Water leaks at approximatly 2-3 gallons/day. Thanks in advance, Berg

Old 07-01-2002, 12:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Driveshaft bellows?
Shift cable?
Exhaust blockoff plate (if you have thru-transom)?
There's a whole lot of places to look.
Old 07-01-2002, 12:31 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a leak on my Bravo 1 that I finally diagnosed as a bad tiller arm shaft seal. It drips slowly in to bilge and fills up in about 3 hours. Look at the transom plate inside the boat right above the driveshaft. Look for water dripping in there. If you have the same problem the motor has to come out to make the repair. I am just going to run mine thru the season then pull it out later.
Old 07-01-2002, 12:57 PM
Registered

Only good way to look for leak is when boat is in water with motor running. If you have bilge clean & dry you should get general area where water is comming from. If you can not see, take for short cruise, then get back in bilge & start looking. Water could be coming from hundreds of places. I once had a boat that the was leaking water in from where the 2 halfs are put together only while crusing at low speed. I siliconed up & end of leak.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:20 PM
turbo2256

Had a leak in mine ... finally discovered it was the drain plug bung needed resealed and bigger screws installed ... dry as a bone now.

Old 07-01-2002, 01:34 PM
liquid lounge

Thanks to all for the replies....I was hoping to remain a neophyte on drives. Wavz, can the tiller arm seal be "botched" during an engine installation or did yours just simply wear out? Reason I ask, is that the equpment is all less than 2 years old and I have suspected the possibilty of the leak coming from where you describe. Thanks again.

Old 07-01-2002, 04:48 PM
VIP Member

Mine is 7 yrs old and is worn out from hard use and alot of h.p.

Dave
Old 07-01-2002, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Both of mine are leaking also (tiller arm seals) I intend to replace them this winter. They only leak when I beach the boat.
Old 07-07-2002, 07:29 PM
Registered

I have the same problem. Bilge stays dry if I launch, then let sit in slip over night without running hard. Only get water after running. Tiller arm areas look basically dry. Maybe I have the problem TurboJack said. Can't find any wetness on the sides of the transom walls (inside) after a run. Any more ideas?

BT