Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Q on procharger fitting in Baja 272 year(2000) >

Q on procharger fitting in Baja 272 year(2000)

Notices

Q on procharger fitting in Baja 272 year(2000)

Old 06-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q on procharger fitting in Baja 272 year(2000)

Ok trying to see if anyone has put Prochargers 496HO M1-sc kit in a Baja 272, mine is a year 2000. Don't want pro's and con's of why I should not do it and put in a Whipple. If you have a 496 whipple kit and want to give it to me I'll gladly trade you for the 496 procharger kit Enough said.

What I want to know is, to me it it looks like I need to notch out the crossmember and floor deck that sits right in front of the crank pulley(to make room for the new extended pulley). Has anyone done this install, and how much structural integrity am I comprimising by notching that crossmember? Was not sure if there were anymore crossbraces under that deck or if this is the only one. Looks like I need to notch it 1" back towards driver, 6" across width of boat and about 4" deep. This crossbrace is right between gas tank and engine compartment (an yes I'll be careful around the gas tank). I had planned on if cutting this notch adding 2 pcs of 3/8" aluminum plate laser cut to the new shape of the notch and extend about 12" to each side then bolting them through like a sandwhich brace and then sealing them in with 3M marine sealant. I also think I need to move the rear seat forward an inch but thats no big deal. This is for a calm lake water lake, 1' water at most on a windy day so it won't be in the ocean battering the hull and this 272 rides very calm in most rougher water in my area so I think I'll be ok notching it, just wanted to get some opinions before I do it.
Ok now let me have it, just don't get on a Whipple versus Procharger rant please

Last edited by HotForTeacher; 06-06-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Talk to ArticFriends. He has a 272, I believe and has had procharged motors installed in it. Not sure if he did a 496, but he may be able to help you with your questions.

Dick
Old 06-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a procharger, love them...and smitty is the one to talk to on that boat....
Old 06-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Smitty is ArticFriends, I just sent him a message today. Thanks for the helps guys. If all else fails I'll cut it out and weld a drag car roll cage up and bolt it all the way around the boat