Trim Tab Unit Leaking... >

Trim Tab Unit Leaking...

Notices

Trim Tab Unit Leaking...

Old 07-02-2002, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim Tab Unit Leaking...

The unit where you add fluid into the reservior is leaking. Will not leak when you put the tabs down, but, will leak considerably when you raise the tabs. Does not leak at all when tabs are not in use. Therefore, can't be a hole in the holding reservior. Any reason why, when the tabs are lifted, leaking occurs?

Not leaking around any of the hoses or fittings or any where else. It appears to me it is leaking from the bottom or on the backside where it is mounted and butts up against the hull.

I have not had the time to examine the unit real close. I will do that this weekend. Posting now for advice. Your feedback is helpful or any ideas why this occurs. Needs fixed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:18 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,250 Likes on 543 Posts

It sounds like you have the Bennet Trim Tabs. These people are an awesome company. I had the similar problems with mine. See this thread below:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...ghlight=bennet

I also was leaking last year from somewhere under the base. I resealed the seal between the res. and the pump base 2x with RTV, and it still leaked. Bennet stepped up and gave me a new one under their 5 year warranty; NO QUESTIONS ASKED. I guarantee if you call them, they will take good care of you.
Good Luck.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:50 AM
Registered

Brian,
Thanks for you help. It is nice using this board when people like you respond.

What was your problem?
Old 07-02-2002, 10:57 AM
Registered

Brian,
Never mind. I just read the link to the thread. I'll check the ferrel and a few other things while I'm in the hatch. Hopefully, that is what it is.

Thanks again, Mike.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:56 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

I really had two problems, the leak last year, which I installed the new pump at the beginning of this season. Leaked was gone.

Then I blew out the ferrel a few weeks back. Tom took care of that too.

There is a rubber grommet between the pump an the reservoir; where the pickup tube goes in. This may be cracked, or leaking. You cannot see it until you take the lexan cover off, remove the u-strap that holds the pump down; and gently lift off the pump assembly. The pickup tube could have a problem too. This is easier to do when you pull the whole assembly off the mount.

One of the *****es I had about Sonic, was when they plumbed the tubes, the pump is on the port side of the boat, and the tube is shorter to the port cylinders, which makes the port tab react faster. I hated this. Tom sent me a length of tube to wrap onto the transom to even out the speed/flow from side to side. They are almost perfect now.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:07 PM
Registered

I will second Bennetts "stand behind there product"policy. my pump kept leaking and as soon as i called and talked to them about it a new pump was on its way to me. I couldnt ask for better customer service.

Rob
Old 07-02-2002, 12:10 PM
Registered

Thanks again dude. I can't get enough of this OSO!!!!! I mean, this is taking up a lot of my work time!!! (oh well). Its cool networking with people.

Man, I read your link to your thread, clicked on the link with the picuture of your boat, you had some serious air!!!!!!!! and to think you were 3 feet higher in the picture when it was taken??!!!!!! Say, does your boat have any stress cracks?!??!!

How did that impact feel?
Old 07-02-2002, 03:31 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

It has a few stress cracks. Mostly from previous owner/driver error. (Dock-bite, etc). The boat is still rock solid.

That landing was a very easy, and lucky one. We fell back into the water like a warm knife into soft butter. There were three quick 4, 5, or 6 foot rollers that snuck up on us from some cruiser wakes on a Poker Run. We were lucky there was not a fourth, and did not trip the transom over it. We were doing about 50-55mph.

Check out www.flyaloft.com
Click on poker run, and then Brian Tillett to see some of the sequence.