vortec timing >

vortec timing

Notices

vortec timing

Old 06-18-2012, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vortec timing

my boat came from the factory with a votec 5.7 an 2 bbl carb,with no advancement for timing.I was told the modual has 8 degrees built in.I just refreshed the engine an added a 600cfm on the dual plane intake an it wont run with this distributor setup.How much advancement is to much,,will hei ignition suit an if i have a lean issue at #8 can i go up to say 65 or 66 jets in the mains,it has 63 from the factory.I just re-valved 6 an 8 intake,it only took bout 4 hrs to suck them in with the current set up.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Registered

What do you mean it doesnt run? Does it try to start, just wont idle? Is there any obnoxious popping when you are cranking? I did a Vortec head swap onto my 5.7L and my Thunderbolt IV worked just fine. I would post more symptoms and information so people can help out a bit more.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are running thunderbolt ignition then initial timing may call for 8 degrees btdc, module should provide 22 degrees for a total of 30. I assume this is what you have.

I would set advance for total timing of about 32 for a vortec motor, doesn't matter what initial is. On thunderbolt v ignition there is a wire you have to ground to set the timing.

Too much timing on these motors will tulip intake valves. Number 6 and 8 cylinders are the lean cylinders.

What carb? 600 should be close out of the box (edelbrock or holley)

This is a little generic, but you were not specific in your 1st post.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Registered

Default vortec timimg

ok sorry for not being specific enough.i have a 1999 24ft baha cruiser,it has the vortec 5.7 with 2bbl carb.In 2003 it froze an busted block,so a new short block was installled.I ran the boat another 5 years with no problems,recently we pulled the engine an went thru it,no mods where done for higher performance just back to original specs.I did however go back with a 600cfm holley,which matched up to the dual plane intake once the restrictor plate was removed.Once i started the test an tune soon realized that the distributor would not advance but 8 degrees,called volvo an they said thats all this distributor was meant to do,this is new to me but ok.I have asked around an some say yes i need to go with a new hei single wire to get full advance an some say no that because the boat is always under load that the advancement will tulip the intake at 6/8,,so im at a draw,,,,i know good an well the motor needs advancement but at how much an should i bump up the main jets to go along with the higher timing advancements so not to have these leaning problems.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Registered

Default vortec timing

one thing i did fell to mention,,the distributor,,its the small cap with a stand alone coil.The only thing under the roto is the pick up coil an modual.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So are you saying that the initial timing is 8 degrees before and that as you rev the motor there is no more advance? That is not right.

Small block chevys should run 8-10 degrees initial and 30-34 total in the 3000-3500 range (stock engines)

I think you need to figure out the ignition problems before you worry about the carb. If it is a new marine version holley it should be fine.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Registered

what im saying is if i set base time at 10 an rev the engine it will only climb to 18,no more,,,im only getting 8 degrees of advancement from the distributor.Yes its a brand new marine holley 600cfm with vac 2nds.Wot on my engine is 4400 rpm
Old 06-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tipsea
what im saying is if i set base time at 10 an rev the engine it will only climb to 18,no more,,,im only getting 8 degrees of advancement from the distributor.Yes its a brand new marine holley 600cfm with vac 2nds.Wot on my engine is 4400 rpm
You should set the all in timing at 32-33 and don't worry about initial timing. Make sure you are grounding the jumper wire as mentioned and that you are revving high enough to have all timing in.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i think it will start hard with 22 or 24 degrees initia.i would check with somebody else who knows thar volvo ignition...maybe google that motor's tune up specs.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Registered

There is no jumper wire to ground this distributor has a two wire pin connector that plugs into the module one wire pink the other brown ...what I need advice on is what type of hei works best for a stock vortex 5.7 with 600 Holley with throttle range to 4400rpm,,,,because this outlaw junk distributor just will not get the job done

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.