Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What sea strainer for single 525 efi ? >

What sea strainer for single 525 efi ?

Notices

What sea strainer for single 525 efi ?

Old 07-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What sea strainer for single 525 efi ?

I want to install a sea strainer on my system but with all of the options out there I'm not sure which one would be best for my application. I have the XR with dual water pick-up and boat in fresh water. I'd like to keep it as simple as possible and don't want to have to take tons of bolts out just to remove the lid. Also I don't want to jeopardize the water psi through the system.

Last edited by SippyRat; 07-02-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have a KPM on mine 6" × 8", no water pressure issues and it has one large knob on top to unscrew.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rw40426
I have a KPM on mine 6" × 8", no water pressure issues and it has one large knob on top to unscrew.
Thanks. Do you run a pressure relief valve? Any pics of the install? Where is a good place to purchase in the states?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

This is my set-up on my 525. The 525 can handle water pressure up to 43# and likes around 35. Don't run a relief valve if you don't have to. It's one more thing that could fail and that could be very bad if it stuck open at high speed. Those are wing bolts, not nuts, and they cannot come all the way out so you cannot drop one. It's easy to open and this style cover will not crack. I'm not putting down the other type but there was a thread here a while ago about those lids cracking. There is a relief valve in this picture but I've since removed it. I've also got the CP SS raw water pump.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hardin sea strainers,,,,ez on and off
Old 07-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
This is my set-up on my 525. The 525 can handle water pressure up to 43# and likes around 35. Don't run a relief valve if you don't have to. It's one more thing that could fail and that could be very bad if it stuck open at high speed. Those are wing bolts, not nuts, and they cannot come all the way out so you cannot drop one. It's easy to open and this style cover will not crack. I'm not putting down the other type but there was a thread here a while ago about those lids cracking. There is a relief valve in this picture but I've since removed it. I've also got the CP SS raw water pump.
Who makes your strainer? Are you happy with the SS water pump? Doug
Old 07-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by outriggers
Who makes your strainer? Are you happy with the SS water pump? Doug
The strainer came from Teague. The pump housing is made by Hardin and I got it from CP performance. Very happy with it and can't understand why a $40,000 racing engine comes with a plastic pump to begin with.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
The strainer came from Teague. The pump housing is made by Hardin and I got it from CP performance. Very happy with it and can't understand why a $40,000 racing engine comes with a plastic pump to begin with.
I agree! But what I can't figure out is why merc doesn't spec a strainer system on every setup with LWP or DWP. Seems like a no brainer to me

Thanks thirdchildhood. That answers my question on the psi. Would like to see pics of kpm system an others if anyone has the time
Old 07-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SippyRat
I agree! But what I can't figure out is why merc doesn't spec a strainer system on every setup with LWP or DWP. Seems like a no brainer to me

Thanks thirdchildhood. That answers my question on the psi. Would like to see pics of kpm system an others if anyone has the time
(westcoastoffshore.ca) sells the KPM sea strainers. I will try to post a pic of my setup this evening.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Registered

Any good sea strainer should get the job done. I just showed what I went with. The 43# max raw water PSI came right from the Mercury shop manual for the 525. 25# is too low for this engine at high RPM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.