Starting problems

Notices

Starting problems

Old 07-04-2002, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problems

Well,
Not a great day.... I can get my brand new 540 to start . Checked timing, spark, fuel, Been fooling with this for 3 weeks. Anybody want to jump in and slap me with some info I might have forgot. The engine did run for several minutes. I have a Thunderbolt IV ing. seems okay.. maybe the sensor bad, got spark to coil, some spark at plug when cranked over. Would low battery voltage cause this beast not to run. It did come off a dyno, and was running. I am just missing the obvious but no splash again, 4th of july.. Great!!!! I don't suppose anybody on today, hope you are all out there.
sheikman
Old 07-04-2002, 08:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 540 not starting.

Sheikman,
If you have spark, fuel and compression you should be making lots of noise. You say you checked for spark, fuel pressure, good 12 volts from battery?
Lets start from the bottom, have you had the dist. out of this beast? Did anyone move the dist. around?If you really have fuel and spark at the spark plug wires you are lacking something like timing.

Email me back , we'll see if we can get you started !

Pwrbt33
Old 07-04-2002, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 540 not starting

Just got through, checked timing, seems okay, plenty of fuel. How should I check voltage from battery?
My spark when I tested at the plug seemed weak. ANy suggestions. How would you time the engine?
Thanks
SHeikman
Old 07-04-2002, 11:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First I'd try jumping it off your car or truck.
If you suspect the timing's off you can do this:
1) pull coil wire
2) pull #1 plug out,
3) press thumb over plug hole and crank engine till you feel pressure building. Stop cranking and set timing mark on balancer to TDC.
4) pull dist cap and see if rotor is pointing to #1 plug tower. If not rotate dist till it does. This'll put you in the ballpark.
5) Check the plug wires for proper firing order. Someone may have messed with them.
6) crank engine with dist cap off to see if rotor turns.

Like Pwrbt33 said, if you have compression, fuel and spark it shoud run.

If it still won't fire start checking the fuel system, look down carb throat and work the throttle, you should see fuel coming from accelerator pump. If not, you know there's no gas.
I'll catch hell for even suggesting this, but if you don't see fuel squirting try pouring a small amount of gas down the carb then try starting it. Or use starting fluid and be safe.
Try changing the ignition coil, maybe too weak to light the fires.