I need engine and drive help

Old 07-05-2002, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay good news
Nothing broken
Bad news
plug change time or clean up the new ones
Engine #2 runs, pops out the carb a bit, so Im going to pull all the plugs, clean them off and wipe them down and put them back in. The bang was just the flame arrestor snuffing out a pop out of the carb. THANK GOD
I did find a leak with the sea water pump, when I shut off that engine it leaks at the gasket seal behind the mounting bracket/arm thing.
So Ill take that out tomorrow morning, and pull it apart, clean it all up and schmeg it up.
Engine #1 all the plugs are fouled out from so many attempts at starting it
I did find 0* TDC and aligned the distributor up to it to get it to run but since the plugs are fouled she wont run.
She coughs and no backfires but wont quite catch and run so im going to pull the plugs and clean them all up as well and blast them off with air hose.
at least there is no damage , just some timing issues to deal with
Im hoping for a test drive on Sunday
Thanks
Jason
Old 07-06-2002, 01:27 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Tell you what -- You come up here and fix my dam truck and I will fix your boat.. How I hate working on car or truck engines. Every thing is so tight fitting and very dirty.
Old 07-06-2002, 09:49 AM
Registered

Hey tink what is up with the truck?
Any who, After I clean up this spark plug issue Ill try it again, fix the leak in the sea water pump and then I believe it is time for a test drive WHOOOOOOOOHOOOO
Damn im so close im loving it (until something else goes wrong)
Now I need 2 pairs of gil tips with the spring loaded non burn flappers cause I blew out the rubber internal flappers and am just relying on the ones on the outside of the tips to prevent a wave from washing in water to the exhaust
Thanks guys
TODAY WILL BE THE DAY I CAN HAVE A "RUNNING BOAT"
and then tips and props (twin home grown hp500's and 21 pitch props are not going to cut it and probably cause cavitation so Ill have to take it easy when I get out there
Jason
Old 07-06-2002, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's looking like I blew a head --- The external flappers are all that I run and I don't have any problems with reversion.
Old 07-06-2002, 12:29 PM
Registered

Jay,
I have been following your progress and believe me I feel for you.I have just finished restoring a 32 Maelstrom Cat and I finally have all the sysytems running and working 100%.I am now in the process of finding the right prop which is almost as much as a pain in the a$$ as all the other problems.One size too small and blowing out one set too big and not getting rpm to get on plane.But let me tell you once it is done and running you will feel sooooooo good you will not believe it.Keep at it and it will be great.
Mark
Old 07-07-2002, 08:57 AM
Registered

Update
I pulled all the plugs and cleaned them off
what was strange was that #5 plug looked like it had water on it and gunk in around the electrode?
(engine has never fired up yet so that is next to impossible)
I replaced that plug and what Im thinking was moisture got up the tail pipe and that #5 exhaust valve was open (just a guess)
I pulled the one battery and it has been charging since yesterday afternoon (constant cranking kills them pretty quick)
so im going to attempt to get this ohter one fired up today and fix the sea water pump and take it to the river and out for about 30 minutes or so on test drive (assuming I can get this thing fired up)
Im trying here fella's
Jason
Old 07-07-2002, 05:21 PM
Registered

Sounds like you flooded the rings with fuel and removed all oil. Smell the cc oil for fuel. Very easy thing to do... flood rings with a new motor.... specially if it aint right during the first attempt to start. If so, need to squirt 30wgt into each plug hole to get compression back. Also buy new plugs... others would be fouled.

BT