Eliminate ignition keys in favor of push buttons

Old 07-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Goodbye keys, hello switches and push buttons

Old 08-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the key start on my Donzi with a switch (momentary on/on/off) and a flip up cover.

Pros:
Simple to start: push all the way up then release when fired up
EZ to kill: swat the cover down
Looks kinda F16
Can't lose the ignition key overboard

Cons:
If the switch is close to the wheel (I used the key switch hole) you can accidently kill the motor if you're really sawing on the wheel and your knuckles hit the switch cover. Don't ask, you figger it out how I know this
This mod makes it even easier to steal the boat. I replaced my battery selector switch with a locking Perko.

John C

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Registered

I've quickly become quite the Nit-Picker on this new to me Pachanga. Interior is all finished except the original Dash, Fuse Panel, and Gauges. -I'm looking to redo all of it over the winter. I really want modern Backlit toggle switches on Brushed Stainless or Diamond Plate Chrome. Not sure which yet. I'm a very mechanically inclined fella, but to me, most things "electric" seem Magic somehow. Sad Huh? Now that I see the Push Button Starter.. Yep.. F16 was my first thought.. followed almost immediately by.. "badass!!" I just have a single engine so my instrument cluster isn't complicated, but I fully intend to add Fuel Pressure Gauge, Oil Temp Gauge, Vaccuum Gauge, to go along with the normal array. Over the winter I'm going to buy some Vortec Heads then I'm going to beef up the cam and valvetrain and fuel pump so I want to have the necessary monitoring equipment attached at all times so I don't grenade a fresh rebuild. The one thing that surprises me is that in 1987 when my boat was made, they used basic white light switches. They had to look Tacky the day the built it because they look absolutely Ridiculous now.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Registered

I forgot exactly where I read this (possibly on one of the many eBay sites selling the PB's), but I've seen a relay is recommended when you wire the key switch to the PB. With the set up I'm using all you need is the correctly amp rated toggle switch ($13+/ on eBay) and a switch cover of your choice.

HTH, John C in PA

Last edited by JohnC; 08-10-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-11-2012, 05:45 AM
Registered

I'm adding a recoil above the pwr steering pump.....
Old 08-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

for those of you looking for top of the line toggle switches get the Airpax brand, They are true aircraft rated waterproof and 100G shock capable, a little expensive but really high quality. I know sometimes the right parts can be hard to find so I thought i would offer. I only know because my boat came with them.

I bought some higher amperage to replace two of the existing ones when I added stronger pumps from here http://cmsquick.com/index.html

The manufacturer is http://ww3.airpax.net/CC_host/pages/...ion,P,AP%29%29

Maybe somebody has a good source for high end push buttons.