Eliminate ignition keys in favor of push buttons >

Eliminate ignition keys in favor of push buttons

Notices

Eliminate ignition keys in favor of push buttons

Old 07-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Eliminate ignition keys in favor of push buttons

I have replaced basically every part on my scarab except the stock ignition key switches and wouldn't you know I am having problems with one of them!

Thinking of eliminating the keys entirely and going with toggles for ignition and push button for starters. When I rewired the boat I changed around the way things were wired so I don't use the acc side of the key so not loosing anything there.

Anyone done this?

Pro's & Con's?

Thanks
Jim
Old 07-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left the keys and jist added starter buttons,,i like it because i crank the engines for about 10 seconds before turning the key so the engine has oil pressure..
Old 07-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
I left the keys and jist added starter buttons,,i like it because i crank the engines for about 10 seconds before turning the key so the engine has oil pressure..
That's a good reason, like I said one of my keys is acting up so pretty sure the keys are going
Old 07-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it and it worked flawlessly i also added a plastic cover for the starter button in case I hit it with my knee I think I split two of the standard ignition switches before I got rid of em
Old 07-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

not like the keys are a theft deterrent. boats are the easiest thing to hot-wire there is...except mayve riding mowers. OH RIGHT!!! SAME SWITCH!!!
Old 07-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
not like the keys are a theft deterrent. boats are the easiest thing to hot-wire there is...except mayve riding mowers. OH RIGHT!!! SAME SWITCH!!!
Lol so true I saw those push button starts with the keypad locks a while ago for "security" and had to laugh I could just imagine losing a motor trying to dock and frantically punching in combinations to get it restarted
Old 07-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 32hustlin
Lol so true I saw those push button starts with the keypad locks a while ago for "security" and had to laugh I could just imagine losing a motor trying to dock and frantically punching in combinations to get it restarted
Was thinking similar....
Old 07-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you think that's bad, try having one not restart on a twin shaft boat in a tiny little cove in front of somebody's fuel dock with 20 boats all around!! it only turns one way, and of course it is the wrong way...
Old 07-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
you think that's bad, try having one not restart on a twin shaft boat in a tiny little cove in front of somebody's fuel dock with 20 boats all around!! it only turns one way, and of course it is the wrong way...
That's the situation I am in now. Got the boat in the water yesterday at the marina. Started port motor, fine. Shut off port motor started starboard motor ( I always do that so i can hear each run separately first) went back to start port motor, nothing!! Ended up having to jump the starter lead on the engine to get it to light!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

I am going to wire my ignition with a toggle and push button this winter. I like the simplicity and the looks. I will hide a secondary switch behind the dash for security.......Chances are a crook won't be able to find that, and if they do, It is insured!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.