Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
External Mufflers - opinions pease >

External Mufflers - opinions pease

Notices

External Mufflers - opinions pease

Old 07-08-2002, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 335 Likes on 188 Posts

Late spring I purchased a set of used Shotguns, thanks Cord. I just installed them yesterday on a 502 with lightning headers. The lightnings are quite loud and while no one has bothered me yet, I plan to go to the Erie Islands and figured I better knock the noise down some. The Shotguns were an easy install and I was surprised at how much it changed the sound. It makes a noticable difference and no decrease in rpms. My wife loved the sound of the unmuffeled lightings and is a little unhappy but if it saves us from getting a ticket.......
Old 07-08-2002, 09:20 AM
Brad Perry

I've used the Corsa silencer tips (6") on several motors up to about 600hp with great results. The're a work of art too. Mine have a 45 degree cut tip with the internal 'spring' baffle. Went to open tips several times on different motors and saw no difference.

Old 07-08-2002, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't got to hear any of them, but from what I've read, I would go with the Shotgun's.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would go with some type of non-switchable muffler like the IMCO mega muffler available as clamp on or as tip.

Switchables are illegal is some states and maybe your state is next. How would you like to spend $1-2000 for switchable with installation anly to still get a ticket for passing the sound test but failing the 'non switchable' and having to pay the ticket and then re-do the mufflers. Do it right the first time and do it once.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:44 PM
Registered

I put Drew Shotguns on my HP500 carb motors and they made a noticeable difference at idle. They aren't very concerned in TN, but I just wanted to be the "good" neighbor so added them. They're simple and don't effect top end RPM at all.

I'm going to Sturgeon Bay, WI later this week. We'll see if they're out in force checking db's. I'll let you know if I get stopped.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:17 PM
voodoo

Switchables are illegal in WI. I boat along the WI, IA, IL borders. I think I will try the under water method first. I plan to sell the boat in August as my wife is going back to school. I hate to spend another 500-1000 for something I'll only need for 1-2 months.

Old 07-09-2002, 01:10 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

If you get a set of Shotguns, you only need to drill one small hole in your existing tips to mount them. Then if you sell the boat, you can give the buyer the option to keep/buy them or you can take them off and sell them.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:42 AM
wilerty

I have a Whipplechargered 502 Mag with Corsa silent choice. In NY we have a 90db rule at idle. I installed Corsa clamp on external mufflers and have seen no decrease in performance. Mine are not visable since they are under the swim platform.

NY also has a no cut-out rule. However, as long as your boat meets the requirement EITHER way, you will not have a problem(in court, if not on the water).

Old 07-09-2002, 02:20 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally posted by Troutly
Griff,

I got a picture someplace of the Missouri State Water Po-Po enjoying your mufflers

I knew that moment was immortalized. Just waiting to see when you were going to post the pic. You usually wait for just the right moment.
Actually though, I just put the Shotguns on last week. What a difference at idle and up through 4000rpms. You can really here the blower whining now and can actually hear what somebody else is saying in the seat next to you at cruise speed.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:38 AM
Registered

Can you use Shotgun's with a completely dry exhaust system? My water dumps over the side...

Quick Reply: External Mufflers - opinions pease

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.