Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Hydraulic steering >

Hydraulic steering

Notices

Hydraulic steering

Old 07-10-2002, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to check your current mounting bolt patter. I changed my '93 Formula to full hydraulics, & used the original bolt holes......just had to "shave" a little (less than 1/16") out of the large hole. It fit like a dream.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:58 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I added an Imco single ram add on system and have been very happy with it so far.
I keep hearing about hard steering problems at idle and I guess I don't have it. The wheel turns just as easy as it did when it was stock.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:22 PM
Registered

Chuck,
I'm glad to hear you say that, cause that's what is going on my boat, and IMCO add on. Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:34 PM
Registered

checkmate454mag, try the Tie in Hyd. system like Spaky. I put a WPM on last winter and it is great. Griff must have the dual cylinders. A buddy of mine has 2 and his steering is hard at idle. I just bought the single and it steers ok.
The radius on mine is still good. I think because on the WPM system you can mount it on the top or bottom of the wing plate and if you mount it to the top you are raising the mount on the transom. On my boat the transom slopes back as you go up, so you get further away from the outdrive and get a better angle for more leverage and effectively move the drive further. I'm not sure how the marine machine and IMCO are, but I think the IMCO works good for boats that don't have the room to mount out far from the gimbal. I needed 19 inch from the side of the gimbal.

I think you will be happy with any of the Hyd. units. I know I am happy with mine.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:37 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

Yes, I do have a dual ram system.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:46 AM
Registered

Checkmate454mag,
I have heard too many people going with the add on system only to wish they had gone with the full system. Call the factory and ask what is involved. They helped my with some changes I did to my 251. They are an excellent company. The helm on my lathum is not that big. You could possibly install the hoses on the system and then pass it through the inspection hole.

Dan
Old 07-11-2002, 09:48 AM
Registered

checkmate454mag
You might want to do a search in the General Discussion forum on hydraulic steering. There was a thread on putting together a full hydraulic system for under $500. The helm units used in boats are the same as used in farm combines, tractors, etc. Helm to steering wheel shafts are available in varying lengths for farm equipment, up to 30". You may be able to mount the helm unit farther forward of your current dash space makin the plumbing easier.
Gary
Old 07-11-2002, 10:07 AM
Registered

I just had a dual ram assist installed on my 2000 convincor259. Used imco with 8 inch rams. research the mounting locations for which ever brand you decide to use. You may have a mounting issue because of the dual ram tabs that checkmate uses. And yes it hard to turn at idle.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:56 AM
Registered

Default Happy with my dual Imco Add-on

I've got the dual Imco system on my Daytona- aside form the slower steering at idle it's perfect.

The cause is lack of flow from the pump at idle speed- we run similar systems in competitive Jeeps rockcrawling and the go-fast desert racers use them. The pump can be "worked" a little but the real answer is to upgrade to a pump used for factory hydroboost brake systems in vans and trucks. I intend to do this in a few years when the motor is out but not until then as it's only an occasional nuisance.

This is why the single ram guys don't notice anything- there is adequate flow to feed one ram. Leave the tractor parts on the farm- they wont have the corrosion protection or multiple o-rings the better cylinders have to keep the water out etc. The cylinders are also more crude in assy and tolerances - do you really want John Deere green hanging off your transom?

Quick Reply: Hydraulic steering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.