Hydraulic steering

Notices

Hydraulic steering

Old 07-08-2002, 07:48 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic steering

I am tired of my stock cable steering. I really want to go full hydraulic, but I don't want to cut the dash up to fit the hydraulic helm. I am thinking about getting the half hydraulic 2 ram system from Imco. I know that it isn't as good as the full system, but it has to be better than what I have now. Any one have any likes or dislikes with this system?
Old 07-08-2002, 08:26 PM
Registered

check to see where your play is coming from. i was considering a partial hydraulic add on. after checking it out i see i have ALOT of slack coming from the teleflex steering box under the dash with no apparent way of adjusting the slack out off it!!

Rob
Old 07-08-2002, 08:45 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I replaced the stock Morse cable steering in my cat with full hydraulic. The existing center hole was actually larger than the new one and all I had to do was drill 4 new 3/8" holes. That's it.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:51 PM
Spanky

I added Imco system last year and it worked good, got rid of a bunch of slack. Wish I went to the full system, but it was a $$$ thing, you can always add it later. The system went on relitively easy and it looks good. Some of the hardware has alittle rust on it, I'm not sure if thats normal or not, but I've got bigger fish to fry right now. Good luck

Old 07-08-2002, 09:06 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Thanks for the input. I am not too concerned with the hole size for the helm, I am more concerned about the access for attaching the hydraulic lines to the helm. I have a '99 259 Convincor, there is no access to the helm from under the gauges. You have to get in there from a little fuse access hole they provide you from inside the cabin. I don't think that is enough room to work. It is hard enough to do any wiring through that hole, let alone hydraulic lines.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:47 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

The hydraulic lines are AN. They go together very easily. Almost impossible to cross thread. The hardest part was trying to hold the helm up while tightening the bolts. With two people it would be no problem.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:30 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 988 Posts

I have the add on Marine Machine system on my Pantera. It took a while to get used to around the docks, but now that I'm used to it, I really like it. It is pretty much impossible to turn it fast, at idle, while in gear. Now that I have gotten used to it, it is no problem. Just move to neutral so it can pump enough fluid, turn the wheel, and it turns pretty easily, then back into gear. Also, the steering radius is much smaller so you have to plan ahead. The drive will only turn 4-4 1/2 inches in either direction when turning.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:46 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Griff;

Is the loss of turning radius a problem for all the add on systems or is it only with Marine Machines? I am thinking of the Imco system.

Cord;

I am not only concerned about the hydraulic "an " lines, but also with the getting the helm unit in through the small access hole.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:49 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Turning radius will depend on the length of the rams. Longer rams will allow your drive to swing through a wider arc. If you have a very narrow boat or if you have twins you may be limited in the length you can fit. My Latham (single ram system) ram has a 10"stroke. Many others are only 8". Wing plates will reduce the turning radius too. Just some factors to be aware of.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:20 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally posted by checkmate454mag
Griff;

Is the loss of turning radius a problem for all the add on systems or is it only with Marine Machines? I am thinking of the Imco system.
I think the loss of turning radius is inherent to all hydraulic systems. The hydraulics are generally 8-10 inches. That means with drive perfectly straight, they are half way out on each side and will only travel another 4-5 inches when you turn. One of the rams will go in 4-5" when you turn and the other extends 4-5"
Really though, its not a problem when you get used to it. My boat is 30' with the swim deck and the distance between Piers at my marina is less than 35' and except for the first time I had to dock it(with a 20mph wind to fight also) I have not had any problems.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic steering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.