Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
6.2L MPI – Increased Performance? >

6.2L MPI – Increased Performance?

Notices

6.2L MPI – Increased Performance?

Old 07-09-2002, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 6.2L MPI – Increased Performance?

I have a 2001 6.2L MPI - Bravo 1 and was wondering what “cheap” mods were available to increase performance. I know I can go with a Procharger or Whipple but that is not in the budget until winter.

Will increasing the timing help any? The manual says base timing is 8 degrees BTDC and calls for 87 octane fuel. Can anyone explain how to set the timing and if it is worth the trouble versus performance and extra cost of 93 octane fuel? I looked at the balancer but don’t see any timing marks.

I’ve tried to order a K&N flame arrestor but they evidently don’t make a base that fits the 90mm throttle body. They sent what they thought would work but after further discussing it with a K&N tech they realized they goofed.

I’ve also thought about exhaust but have read that the small blocks (especially stock) don’t see much of an improvement.

Thanks for any help or additional ideas.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:15 AM
Registered

TTT.....anyone......anyone.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:43 PM
Registered

most small mods dont net much at all, save your money for a whipple charger
Old 07-10-2002, 10:51 PM
Registered

Hi ccarloss, I also have a pair of 6.2s and I was checking out the K&N website to ck for sizes for the t-body. I think the 3.75 inch filter will work. I think that was the size it was when I measured it. Does that sound Right? Let me know Dwight
Old 07-11-2002, 10:29 AM
Registered

Hey Whitey,

As you will notice on the K&N site, they don't list a part # for our motors so I did some cross referencing on Mercury's site and found that the 6.2L uses the same throttle body as the 350 Mag MPI (90mm). I also looked up the part number for the stock flame arrestor and it is the same part # for both the 6.2L and the 350 Mag MPI. Well, K&N does list a part number for the 350 Mag MPI so I ordered that one from 4filters.com (great company) I took it out of the box and it was an awesome product BUT........the wrong part. It has a 5 1/4 opening in the base plate. This product is for a carburator. Sooo, I talked to a K&N tech and they said Oh yeah our web site is wrong........you need to take a measurement of the throttle body diameter. I did that and basically the tech and I agreed that they don't have one that fits our application (90mm throttle body)

I called 4filters.com and they talked to me for like 30 minutes trying to figure out if we could get a universal one to work but we couldn't come up with a solution. So the guy from 4filters.com e-mailed a friend of his at K&N and he said they are aware of the setup on the 6.2 and 350Mag MPI's but they won't be releasing a product until sometime later this year.

Sorry this is so long but just wanted to try and save you the headache of ordering the wrong part.

So now I still look for a way to make a little more power without supercharging quite yet. I will eventually but not this summer.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:58 PM
Registered

Thanks you just saved me alot of grief. It is tempting to put an automotive style on and attach it to our fancy covers so no one could see what type it is. Does your engine sound like a hoover vacuum through the flame arrestor ? Also I have noticed low oil pressure at idle , do you have the same condition? I talked to merc and they said it is normal on this engine, I still do not like it but , what to do. Later for now Dwight
Old 07-12-2002, 07:43 AM
Registered

Mine does sound the same and it does have low oil pressure at idle but is fine at WOT. As far as the flame arrestor is concerned I do have an idea that I may try this weekend if I get the time. The Merc flame arrestor is two pieces with wire mesh in the middle held together with 3 rivets and spacers. I was thinking about drilling out the rivets and removing the wire mesh and getting a regular 7" round filter element and then putting it back together with either some stainless bolts and locking nuts or re-riveting the top and bottom. It would still have the Mercruiser top with the CG approval stamp on it plus if it was under the cover you'd never see it.

Will this help or make a difference? I have no idea, but I can't seem to get any info for these motors other than to supercharge it.

Chris
Old 07-15-2002, 09:37 PM
Registered

Let me know how it turns out. Later Dwight