Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Help! I broke it! >

Help! I broke it!

Notices

Help! I broke it!

Old 09-05-2012, 04:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after tearing apart my carb I couldn't find any obvious faults (although to be honest I'm not exactly a carb guy.) I ordered a rebuilt carb from National Carburetor which arrived the day after Labor Day lol. I am happy to report that the boat starts and runs great thanks to help from oso members and a little patience on my part. I will be putting it in tonight for an official test run, but considering it wouldn't start before and now it runs good on the muffs, I likely have it beat. I did do a compression check on the motor just to get a general condition of it and was happy to see 150 psi on all 8 cylinders. Now I just gotta get this pesky thing called work over with today so I can get back out in my boat! Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Could be a few things...

bad gas
ignition pick up or box
losing timing somewhere
low fuel pressure
burnt exh valve/tuliped (I had that last week)
do compression test to see whats up, pulling the plugs will tell you a lot..

I have heard many bad gas storys but have yet to see it with any of my friends up in Ohio, not saying its not the issue but seems unlikely on 2 week old gas..

I had a fuel filter get clogged after beating on boat hard and sucked a ton of chit from tank somehow and ended up with this....

check over everything before running it again...
Old 09-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I took it out, after checking everything twice over. Boat runs great! Turns out had a pos carb on it, hesitation is gone when opening the throttle all the way, idles good, starts good. Even saw 53 mph on the top end, not bad for the old girl. Thanks for everyone's help I'm looking forward to getting back out this weekend.