Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bo0rke down just in time for Labor day... >

Bo0rke down just in time for Labor day...

Notices

Bo0rke down just in time for Labor day...

Old 08-31-2012, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCLiberator
Those were actually on the boat when I purchased it, the previous owner intalled he SM manifolds and could never get it run correclty after that. Turned out is was the crummy OMC spitfire ignition and had nothing to do with anything else so a DUI distributor later and a bunch of re-wiring later I was back in business and saw a best of just about 63mph, 61-62 anyday. I spun the #4 bearing and lost oil pressure last fall and had this built over the winter.

You already know the engine combination. I called Bob to do a basic rebuild and he basically told me if I didn't go roller I'd hate myself forever (ok so he used much nicer words than those ), so I did and holy hell have I been happy with the results for a pretty damn basic combination.

It added about $1200 to the job, but had I not done it I still be getting embarrassed by those pesky baja's/fornula's/etc and all the other boats I wish I had... Now at least I get to at least play and on occasionally DO some of the humiliating (and lets be real, getting beat by a liberator is pretty humiliating).

There is a 25 Outlaw at my marina that flat out hates me, guy won't even talk to me. He swears next year I'll never beat him again. The boats are really close in speed, I barely edge him out (502/415). I like to tell him he's lucky I always have my family with me or it wouldn't even be close

Makes for a lot more fun, do doubt about it. The wife is starting to ask for a cruiser, so I'm not sure how much longer the fun will last. But for what this thing is actually worth if I sold it, maybe I'd just hang onto it.
What kind of increase in speed did you see after the rebuild? Was the boat running a 502 previously when you were seeing low 60's?

I know what you mean about being pushed for a cruiser. I have two daughters, so in a few years I imagine I will be hearing them whine for an enclosed head. To be honest, when I am tied off in a cove with some friends who have cruisers, the idea of all that space is appealing. But have you ever had to drive one of those damned things? It's like driving a bread truck with bad shocks. The things just lay over. I told my wife if I give in and get one, she will be doing all the driving! Another friend of mine sold his go-fast because his wife told him she would spend more time with him on the water if he got a cruiser. They had it for about two years, and she still never wanted to come out. He finally sold it and got another smaller boat. I will probably eventually cave in when I get a few years older, but then I will have to build some bodacious supercharged engine for the Camaro so I can get my HP fix from somewhere!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 534 Likes on 317 Posts

Links aint working for me
Old 08-31-2012, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cheech
Links aint working for me
Sorry bout' that, I re-arranged my dropbox folder AFTER I posted, I fixed them.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Budman II
What kind of increase in speed did you see after the rebuild? Was the boat running a 502 previously when you were seeing low 60's?

I know what you mean about being pushed for a cruiser. I have two daughters, so in a few years I imagine I will be hearing them whine for an enclosed head. To be honest, when I am tied off in a cove with some friends who have cruisers, the idea of all that space is appealing. But have you ever had to drive one of those damned things? It's like driving a bread truck with bad shocks. The things just lay over. I told my wife if I give in and get one, she will be doing all the driving! Another friend of mine sold his go-fast because his wife told him she would spend more time with him on the water if he got a cruiser. They had it for about two years, and she still never wanted to come out. He finally sold it and got another smaller boat. I will probably eventually cave in when I get a few years older, but then I will have to build some bodacious supercharged engine for the Camaro so I can get my HP fix from somewhere!
I've seen a best of just under 71 with 3 passengers and about 1/2 tanks of fuel, I've never run it just by myself but I've sure I'd see about 72 if I did, I have two deep cycle batteries, and all the normal pleasure gear on the boat; tube's and rafts for the kids, porta potty, etc. The GPS picture was on the run out the day it broke, that was with 6 people on the boat. Look at the links again I fixed them. believe it or not I picked up a couple mph of speed cutting the baffles out of my tips after the build, it would fall on it's face where it didn't on the dyno, so I knew that had to be it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpqgh0lk7edqp1t/tips.jpg

The boat was one of the rare OMC 502's and looked like this when I originally purchased it, rated 420hp and 385 prop horsepower stock, note that they had both batteries on the drivers side, FAIL, I moved them under the seat on the port side, where they belong...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmd4crc112jhqtr/OMC.jpg

It ran about 61 with the stock prop and SM manifolds, the ballistic prop picked up about 1.5 mph.

And cruisers, I know all about em, and may get to know more soon Luckily my wife also grew up around boats, and I'm passing that on to my girls, they LOVE it.

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 08-31-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Lib! What size boat is that? Post up the engine specs to share with us. Looks like it runs good! What ya run'n for a prop and how many rpms will it turn?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:02 PM
Registered

It's a 92' 221 Liberator (21'8" centerline, 23'3" LOA, 8'4"Beam), though everyone thinks it's a 201 since they look nearly identical and were WAY more common.

-Gen V 502 converted to roller (basically the cp performance conversion "kit")
-Basically stock bottom end with, crank turned .010, stock rods, stock pistons .005 off the heads and block to square everything up align honed etc.
-scorpion full roller rockers
-088 heads, no porting, but port matched with comp cams springs retainers etc.
-edelbrock air-gap intake, shaved to match the head and block decking
-850 holley with HP500 flame arrestor, down one jet size on the secondaries from stock holley 80443 marine.
-Bob Madera custom cam LOTS of lift, mild duration.
-DUI 7000 Series stand alone marine distributor, no boxes for this guy...(deleted the damn spitfire engine management system)
-Stainless Marine Manifolds with standard risers
-assembled by Detroit's best kept secret, American Engine and Machine

Turning a 21" Ballistic prop to about ~5300rpm, peak power was just under 5200, and pulled strong to 5500 on the dyno. We limited the RPM based on the stock components in the bottom end. Running through a 1.43 ratio King Cobra Cone clutch drive. And before everyone goes nuts, I know the #'s don't make sense, the Ballistic prop acts almost like a 22" prop, in fact, it's only around 50rpm different that my 22" Raker, but the Ballistic performs a little better, better hole shot AND top-end...it's almost like a labbed 22" prop, who knows, but it's good.

Basic combination, fantastic results. This thread has come a long way from my failed Oil Pressure safety switch.

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 09-01-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Registered

just a note, the GM OPS(oil pressure switch) that is above the oil filter pad will tell test light 12v present. pump will run at key on, but will not flow enough current to run pump. mercruiser finally used it to run relay, will drive you crazy first time you have to fix one. good work getting it.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Registered

if you get pushed to a cruiser there are few companies out there that make some nice performance cruisers. kinda the best of both worlds.......not sure how many do 70 but i am sure they could