Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Ls1 upgrade questions >

Ls1 upgrade questions

Notices

Ls1 upgrade questions

Old 09-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry I forgot 29 scarabs have 7.5 beam any will only fit small blocks. 6.0l is same size externally as any gen3 or 4 small block. a blower is great just adds to the cost. how much power do you want is the question? I assume you plan on bravos? (or at least some variation) Gotta keep in mind what kind of power they can handle. A tvs1900 for an LSA can be had pretty cheap. find a low mile 6.0l or 6.2l with square port heads and you could have a set 650hp motors for fairly cheap. There are many options with LS stuff you need to figure out what power you want, and comfortable putting through what ever drive you plan on running. They will probably be the limiter for what power you can make. if you want 1000hp LS motors they can be done and be reliable but it wont be cheap. What are your power goals?
Old 09-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamcoover
29 scarab. I don't think you can go any bigger. Is a 6.0 still small block sized? I know big block will not fit in there. I was a fan of the ls1 due to being aluminum truck 6.0 are steel. I just love they way they look too. But your thinking if I get the ls1 and cometely redo it stroke it etc and a blower it's not a good way to go?
Yes, they are all physically the same size. The Iron block 6.0 is 75-80lbs heavier. The LS1 is a good platform but has a smaller bore then the 6.0 or 6.2. The stroker kits cost the same but the 6.0 base yields 408" and the LS1 only 383. Most of the really good flowing factory heads won't fit on the LS1 because of the small bore. Done right though, a pair of stroked SC'd Ls1's should be in the 600hp range which would probably be a lot of fun in your Scarab!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

One of my favorite reads for anyone questioning the durability of an LS engine http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...g_bang_theory/
Old 09-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Pretty much what I know, the difference between marine and auto engines is tolerance. Marine are set up "loose", and water pumps/ cooling. But also remember marine engines are always under load, compare to automotive there now. Take that hot rod mag article and see what happens when that 5.3, or ended up being a 4.6 or something, engine is held at WOT for 10 min.........
Old 09-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 92nsx
Pretty much what I know, the difference between marine and auto engines is tolerance. Marine are set up "loose", and water pumps/ cooling. But also remember marine engines are always under load, compare to automotive there now. Take that hot rod mag article and see what happens when that 5.3, or ended up being a 4.6 or something, engine is held at WOT for 10 min.........
4.8l LS, 1200 HP, 26 psi of boost, 60 dyno pulls, no sign of wear at tear down. Care to try that with your marine engine?

Not saying that 26 psi on this engine is a feasable everyday solution for the boating world, but it is no secret that an LS engine is a great platform. This article proves it.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by professor_speed
Sorry I forgot 29 scarabs have 7.5 beam any will only fit small blocks. 6.0l is same size externally as any gen3 or 4 small block. a blower is great just adds to the cost. how much power do you want is the question? I assume you plan on bravos? (or at least some variation) Gotta keep in mind what kind of power they can handle. A tvs1900 for an LSA can be had pretty cheap. find a low mile 6.0l or 6.2l with square port heads and you could have a set 650hp motors for fairly cheap. There are many options with LS stuff you need to figure out what power you want, and comfortable putting through what ever drive you plan on running. They will probably be the limiter for what power you can make. if you want 1000hp LS motors they can be done and be reliable but it wont be cheap. What are your power goals?
Currently a 70 mph boat. I want to be in the low 90 range
Old 09-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Registered

So with that being said I have no idea how much power it will take I currently have bravo 1 drives
Old 09-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
4.8l LS, 1200 HP, 26 psi of boost, 60 dyno pulls, no sign of wear at tear down. Care to try that with your marine engine?

Not saying that 26 psi on this engine is a feasable everyday solution for the boating world, but it is no secret that an LS engine is a great platform. This article proves it.
I know LS engines are remarkable. I have a couple in my Caddy's

If you ask me I would love to see a couple LS6's in a boat.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 92nsx
Take that hot rod mag article and see what happens when that 5.3, or ended up being a 4.6 or something, engine is held at WOT for 10 min.........
I can't speak to a boosted LS...but I've put an otherwise "stock tolerance" ( lol ) LQ4 into a boat...and kept it pinned to the wood for 15 miles down the river.

It held up better than the "marine" 454 did...

But what do I know, compared to guys who have zero experience with an LS in a marine application?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.