Stiff / Hard Steering >

Stiff / Hard Steering

Notices

Stiff / Hard Steering

Old 09-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Stiff / Hard Steering

Ive got a 91 Sunsation Rocket 24' with a built 454/500hp and Bravo1 with a HD Transom Assy... I just bought the boat a month ago, but have noticed the higher the speeds I run, the steering becomes very stiff / tight when trying to steer to the right only. At slower speeds it more balanced from right to left.

At the higher speeds, It seems to steer normal to the left normal though, and if I let off the wheel it'll start to creep the to left just a little bit.
But like I said, when really moving around 4000+ RPM, I really need to put effort into turning the boat to the right...

FWIW, there was a new steering helm and cable installed earlier this year along with the new transom assy...

Any ideas or what I should look for??

TIA - Chris
Old 09-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 162 Likes on 74 Posts

maybe your fighting the torque of your single drive and prop. Does the boat stay straight if you take your hands off the wheel. Cable also could be binding somewhere, or you got the wrong length cable. The best solution would be going full hydraulic but it's not cheap.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
maybe your fighting the torque of your single drive and prop. Does the boat stay straight if you take your hands off the wheel. Cable also could be binding somewhere, or you got the wrong length cable. The best solution would be going full hydraulic but it's not cheap.
lt will pull a tiny bit to left if I pull my hands off the wheel...

Something else a tech at my marina noticed was if you grab the drive, you can make it turn... he said it should lock in place unless you turn the wheel? said possibly a relief or check valve may have gone bad?

Could this be related to my hard steering?

I really need to get down there and go over the system!

Is love go full hyd but def not in budget with all my other projects right now!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 162 Likes on 74 Posts

You drive shouldn't move more than a couple inches either way. Not sure about the check valve thing but you should definitely get it checked out before driving it again. Good luck. Jason
Old 09-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
You drive shouldn't move more than a couple inches either way. Not sure about the check valve thing but you should definitely get it checked out before driving it again. Good luck. Jason
Well I think I found the main reason why the steering was soo stiff... The PS pump was empty of fluid :-/
I had just gotten the boat earlier last month, and the transom assy was replaced earlier in the year along with the motor out... I wonder if they never filled it back up after reassembling everything.

So I filled up the PS pump, went for a ride and instantly it felt better! After a 30min ride, popped the hatch and topped off the pump one more time... and still feels 100% better!

Havent been able to check if the drive will lock since filling the pump, but I wonder if it wasnt locking b/c there was no fluid in the steering cylinder?? If so, maybe I should be good now!!

Hope so... Find out tomorrow!
Chris
Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fwiw my drive doesn't lock when I'm working on it I've always pushed my drive back and forth to acces things on either side. Or when I pull it out and the drive is turned a bit I straighten it by hand...
Old 09-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BBCLiberator
Fwiw my drive doesn't lock when I'm working on it I've always pushed my drive back and forth to acces things on either side. Or when I pull it out and the drive is turned a bit I straighten it by hand...
Thanks BBC Liberator... Ill have to do some research on that....

Now I know why the PS Pump was empty... Definitely a leak on the PS cylinder right where the hyd. lines connect. Specifically the one on the left... I didnt get to put a wrench on it due to it getting late, but it definitely was on there hand tight