Shortening a Bravo Lower >

Shortening a Bravo Lower

Notices

Shortening a Bravo Lower

Old 07-12-2002, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shortening a Bravo Lower

I am getting ready to shorten a Bravo lower by two inches. I was wondering if anyone has attemted this and what problems, if any, were encountered? This all came about as a result of switching my boat over from an Alpha SB to a Bravo BB and discovering my X dimension was way to low. Some of you on the board know I do some drive work on the side, so I guess this will be a good time as any to do some R&D with my ride as the guinea pig.

Last edited by Maxx; 07-12-2002 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:18 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Ummm....why not just buy a IMCO?

BTW-the x-dim for a alpha and a bravo are the same.
Old 07-12-2002, 08:52 PM
Registered

Cord, the reasons for not purchasing an IMCO unit are: the exorbitant price and the integrated nose cone. My boat can't really use a nose cone ( not an 80+ mph boat ) As for the distance between the input shaft and the propeller shaft on an Alpha vs. Bravo; they are the same. However, to compensate for increased drag, due to the larger physical size of the Bravo lower; a representative from my boat manufacterer informed me that they raise the X dimension two inches on the same model boat equipped with a BB and Bravo. So it comes down to raising the entire motor / transom assembly and cut a new hole, or I shorten the lower. I'm opting for the lower.

Last edited by Maxx; 07-12-2002 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:38 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

Im with ya Maxx! I think I'll be ready to be quinea #2 next spring. Put me on the list please.

Im sure you know but be sure to pressure test after you assemble it.

By the way, remember my intake we talked about welding? I went ahead and got a new one. Do you want this one for R&D?

talk soon, Eric
Old 07-12-2002, 10:24 PM
Registered

Eric, I guess you figured out that I will be using your old lower for this endeavor, and pressure testing won't be a problem. My only concern is sealing between the water intake passage and the vertical shaft channel. There is not enough room for a tig torch but a mig gun may get in there or even a rod. How about I weld up your old intake and you keep it as a spare. I picked up a set of angle plates, so I will be able to resurface the intake too. I'll give you a call.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Maxx. I seem to remember a thread on here a while ago that got into detail on shortening a bravo. Did you run a search? I may be in Smithfield next week or for sure the week after.
Old 07-13-2002, 02:50 AM
Registered

From what I recall the original IMCO shorties were cut and rewelded cases. My friend has one of them. I have heard some of the people have had problems with lower bearings due to the reweld not getting the case perfectly aligned and then you got some warpage from the weld process. IMCO then went to their own cast one piece units. I do admire the attempt to do it yourself and save some bucks, good luck!

Craig
Old 07-13-2002, 09:15 AM
Registered

Tom, give me a call when you get in to Smithfield. Hopefully, we will be cutting the drive next weekend.
Craig, the alignment of the separated pieces was one the first issues we had to overcome. I made an alignment jig very similar in design to the ones used for narrowing rear ends. The jig will align the two pieces and hold them in place during the welding process. I'll tack the two pieces together first then check the height and for straightness. With the jig in place and alternating the welds, everything should come out straight. Hell, it works for rear ends.
Old 07-13-2002, 06:26 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

Maxx, that sounds fine. I'll ship it down to ya sometime soon. By the way, We will be down your way next weekend. Going to a small poker run. I think we stop for lunch at Smithfield station then we end up at Hampton City docks were we'll sleep on the boat.

Give me call, Eric
Old 07-14-2002, 09:41 PM
Registered

Good deal Eric, I'll drive over to the docks and say hello.

Quick Reply: Shortening a Bravo Lower

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.