oil temp guage

Notices

oil temp guage

Old 07-13-2002, 02:58 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question oil temp guage

with people talkig about oil temps and condensation n such I start to wonder why most west coast boats do NOT install them?>?
So my question to all of you is this,
If I would install one on the block, not enough room to install 2 in the dash with out crowding and redoing things, where would I put them on stock Merc 1999 502 mag efi's??
I want to put them on just as a peice of mind where I can manually look after a hard run and occasionally as precautions.

thanks
Old 07-13-2002, 08:36 AM
voodoo

Page 67 of the new Gaffrig catalog has liquid filled testing guages. These have a 3/8 NPT fitting you can adapt into your remote filter housings. You will have to T into your lines either before or after the filter as you cannot put a temp guage in the "dead end" section of the filter housing and get any reading. From this point you will be reading hot oil. From the filter it goes to the cooler. Temps from this point should max out at 270-280. One thing to remember, my oil temp drops real quick once you come off plane, even on a hard run. By the time you get stopped and open the hatch, I would suspect your temps will be down 10-20 degrees already.