Engine has rough idle and missing on acceleration

Notices

Engine has rough idle and missing on acceleration

Old 10-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine has rough idle and missing on acceleration

Et. al,
496HO MPI no modifications. Normal engine maintenance schedule followed.

This is what I am experiencing. This has never happened before and just started last week.
At cold start-up it has a rough/choppy idle and seems to smell a little rich. When I start to accelerate (while not at operating temps) to plane it has the same feel as if there are dead cylinders with a definite loss of power. Once on plane and with the remote at between full and 3/4 throttle it has intermittent missing then will clear itself up and run normal with no missing, with normal idle.
Gauges: Oil pressure ~ 40-50psi, volts 12(+) Temp <160.....
Once at normal operating temps 160-170 it wont duplicate the problem and runs like normal.

Anyone experience this problem that seems to be related to first start-up and disappears when at operating temps?

No service bulletins related to this problem that we could find.

Here is what I have done so far:
- Checked plugs (all are fine)
- Ohm the plug wires (all are good)
- All connections to injectors and coils are fine
- Siphoned all the non-ethanol gas, replaced with new non-ethanol (just in case. Put the siphoned fuel in my vehicle and it ran fine)
- Fuel filter has ~ 25 hours on it. (there is no fuel/water separator)
- Flame arrestor is fine.
- Scanned for any codes, no codes found or produced (this was done by my local Merc dealer) we were thinking temp sensor causing timing changes.......
- Anti-freeze was changed last year.

Any ideas??????????
Old 10-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Registered

I am about to swap out my ignition coil which is causing the exact symptoms you are giving. I have not taken it out yet with the new coil but after much research I am pretty sure this is causing my issues. The issues are exactly to a tee what you are saying. I can barely get on plane until the engine warms up.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad injector...take a long screwdriver and put it on each injector and have a listen..you should hear a clicking noise,,which ever one is not or has a faint clicking noise i would pull that injector and replace it..you can also ohme out the injectors to see if you have a bad one..
Old 10-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by The Ace
I am about to swap out my ignition coil which is causing the exact symptoms you are giving. I have not taken it out yet with the new coil but after much research I am pretty sure this is causing my issues. The issues are exactly to a tee what you are saying. I can barely get on plane until the engine warms up.
I will look into the coil(s) but wouldn't it keep missing regardless the operating temps?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
Bad injector...take a long screwdriver and put it on each injector and have a listen..you should hear a clicking noise,,which ever one is not or has a faint clicking noise i would pull that injector and replace it..you can also ohme out the injectors to see if you have a bad one..
I will definitely try that.

Do you know the ohms range for the injectors?
Old 10-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Registered

Could be an injector. Are you getting any misfiring?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by smiley
I will definitely try that.

Do you know the ohms range for the injectors?
have no clue,,when you check then i usually go by lets say 3 of then ohme out at 12.9 then ill use that number as a referance,if i find one that is more then 1 ohme of from the others then i will suspect that one as a problem.. i will find the bad cylinder and ill hook my scope to it and look at the pattern..
Old 10-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by The Ace
Could be an injector. Are you getting any misfiring?
Just rough idle that continues when you try to get on plane.

Once at temp 160-170 it idles smooth with no missing when going on plane.

What sucks about trying to trouble shoot this problem is I have to let the engine get cold again.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
have no clue,,when you check then i usually go by lets say 3 of then ohme out at 12.9 then ill use that number as a referance,if i find one that is more then 1 ohme of from the others then i will suspect that one as a problem.. i will find the bad cylinder and ill hook my scope to it and look at the pattern..
All the injectors ohm-out around 12. Some were 11.8
Old 10-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Are you getting black on the transome. If you are it may be too much fuel press.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.