Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Question on sternpower drive >

Question on sternpower drive

Notices

Question on sternpower drive

Old 07-15-2002, 12:27 AM
blowncarrera777

Default Question on sternpower drive

Talking to a guy about a boat and he said he had a sternpower drive with bam modified tranny. I'm not sure I've ever heard of a sternpower drive. Could he mean a speedmaster since he has a bam tranny with it? Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question, just never heard of it before.

Old 07-15-2002, 12:34 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is such as thing as a Sternpower Drive. There is a Cigarette Top Gun (might be a Cafe, don't really remember which model) running around Grand Haven, MI with a set on it.

As I understand it, they are still being manufactured, and many of them find their way onto Military boats.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:52 AM
blowncarrera777

Thanks waterfoul. The guy told me he kept breakin imco and teague drives, so went to the sternpwer and no more problems. He was running about 980 hp thru it he said, also said the tranny was actually in the transom, so drive was like having an extension box on it. I'm just trying to picture it. I have an arneson, so I'm learning these other ones as i look for a new boat.
also told me motor wasnt mounted further forward, just a little higher. will get pics tomorrow, cant wait to see it.

Old 07-15-2002, 10:49 AM
Registered

They have a website, I have looked at that drive setup online before. Also CP Performance has info in their catalog on that drive, ask for Mike. They have a website also.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:31 PM
Registered

I saw many Sternpower drives around the Lake St. Clair area back in the 70's and 80's. You would find them on the limited production performance boats of that time. Aero's, Lancer's to name a couple. Guys were putting some big HP through them for that era, but I heard parts were kinda expensive. I havn't seen any new ones lately. Everyone is doing Bravo's.
Old 07-15-2002, 09:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Here’s a link to an authorized dealer that was running one the last time I talked to him.

http://www.jtmperformancemarine.com/

I saw one in a 25' Eliminator Daytona a year ago and the transmission was mounted in the standoff box. I don't think the engine was moved any.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Default HEY now were talking

I have a Stearn power O/D with no trans but same unit.
They have VERY big gears and shafts, holds 8 qt of oil
are very easy to work on.
No special tools needed. Mine has had over 500hp for 21 yrs
only broke u-joints once and as of last week I had to replace the
sleeve between the O/D yoke and the pilot shaft, input splines
spun. That piece was19 yrs old. I found a place in Seattle that gets parts and knows them. I ordered it last Fri at noon and he had it in his hand at 10am Sat. I had my boat in the water noon on Sun.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:59 PM
Registered

I think Konrad Marine in Hudson, Wisconsin is the same drive. Still being make there.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:57 PM
Blackhawkdn

Konrad Marine is a different drive

Old 07-20-2002, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a sternpower drive,its strong,easy to work on,looks like merc 3 speedmaster drive,get parts frommarinedrive systems in michigan,i ran 680 hp thru it for 3 years and no problems and have some for sale tripps

Quick Reply: Question on sternpower drive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.