Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trouble starting while in neutral!!! >

Trouble starting while in neutral!!!

Notices

Trouble starting while in neutral!!!

Old 07-15-2002, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble starting while in neutral!!!

I have an 1996 272 Baja with 502 MPI and Bravo One. Thursday I sprayed some silicone lubricant on the shift linkage on top of the motor to allow the shift linkage to move easier. At times it was hard for my wife to move between forward and reverse. Now it is a little easier, but still a little hard for her.

Funny thing is, now I have a hard time starting the boat while in neutral. I have to move the forward/reverse lever back and forth while in neutral (not putting it in gear) before it will start. Does the computer think the boat is still in gear? It is frustrating!!! It may take up to five minutes, messing around, before I can find the "sweet spot" and the motor fires up.

Any reason for this? Before lubricating the linkage, I had to be in a perfect neutral position before the boat fired up (I know it is a safety precaution). And at times, all I would have to do is move the lever a little and it would fire up without a problem.

Do I need to adjust something? How do I do this? Is there something else going on here?

I appreciate your help, and advice, in advance. Thanks, Mike.
Old 07-15-2002, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know there is a micro switch in there & mine is also acting up. It looks like a real pain to replace it also as there is not sufficient cable length to pull completely out of the panel. I think replacement requires disassembly of the shifter cluster.
Has anyone done this?? I asked the same question last week here and not much response....
Old 07-15-2002, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

There is usually a start interlock switch in the shift lever assy. If there is another one on the engine itself, then it is possible that the stiff cable situation has caused the neutral position on the shifter lever to be slightly out of location in relation to the one on the motor.

Probably only need one switch. Use the one on the motor and bypass the one on the shift lever box.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:18 AM
Registered

First thing:
Have you ever replaced your shift cable (the one from the motor to the drive? I was noticing it was getting hard to shift....I replaced mine last week and shifting is much easier than before.

Second thing:
I don't really know exactly where that nuetral saftey switch is located, but i thought it is in the area of where you sprayed. It is possible you sprayed the contacts of the switch. I would try wiping it down since it is you cable causing you your shift problem, not really the lack of grease on the shift bracket.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:33 AM
Registered

Keep the advice comin!!!

I remember seeing a small nut on back of the linkage while spraying, and it was very loose (really loose). Is this nut an adjustment, for the linkage as it pivots, so that, the arm on the linkage comes into contact with the saftey switch on the motor?

I know I may sound ignorant here, but marine applications are new to me.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:55 AM
Registered

Do you think I should spray some air around there and try and dry some overspray out? If that is the problem?