Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Water leaking out of thru - hub exhaust fittings! >

Water leaking out of thru - hub exhaust fittings!

Notices

Water leaking out of thru - hub exhaust fittings!

Old 07-15-2002, 10:37 AM
Bayley

Angry Water leaking out of thru - hub exhaust fittings!

Was wondering if anyone has ever had any problems getting the rubber fitting to adequately seal up the lower connection on a thru hub exhaust connection.

I am currently running the Corsa switch-able (electric) exhaust with EMI manifolds and risers (short style). This last year I have been chasing down a pretty nasty water leak. I recently learned that the rubber boot between the Corsa exhaust divider and the thru prop manifold thingy (sorry, I don’t know the technical name) is leaking. After pulling off the riser and Corsa divider, I realized that the water was (still is) leaking out of the little “U” shaped slot in the thru hub manifold that holds the flapper valve in place.

When I tried to slide to the boot down far enough to completely cover this slot, the lower piece of the Corsa divider was now exposed. WFT??? I pushed down the Corsa piece far enough to fit into the boot, but now the EMI riser is totally mis-aligned. The riser dumps out a good inch, inch and a half higher than where the Corsa divider is at.

I called the factory this morning looking to get just a simple piece of four inch exhaust tubing and cut it to size. However, I was warned that the rubber exhaust tubing is harder than the rubber boots and will most likely not conform and seal against the oval opening on the thru hub manifold.

Finally, what is involved with getting rid of the "girl scout" exhaust route (thru hub)? Would I pretty much have to remove the entire engine(s) to pull this out, or is there an easier way? I'm half temped to just buy some sort of PVC block-off plate at Home Depot and run thru hull for the remainder of the year.

Any advice / opinions / experience appreciated.

Thanks
-Bayley

Old 07-15-2002, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you just cut a narrow piece of 4'' exhaust hose and slide it down the bullhorn so it sits below the rubber hose and then put a clamp on it to cover the flapper slot? Its still gonna be a ***** to get it over the lip on the bullhorn but it might work.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:50 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue, not a leak, but a fit issue. I have Corsa switchable and I dropped a blower motor in with the Gil slient choice set up. The stock rubber boots did not line up. I ordered regular exhaust tubing, cut it to size and clamped it with two ss hose clamps from the original boots. No problems two seasons later. I heard a hole could burn through, but up to this point, not a simngle problem. You really have to force it on and clamp them good, but it really worked out well.