Baja Steering SEIZED UP !!!!!! >

Baja Steering SEIZED UP !!!!!!

Notices

Baja Steering SEIZED UP !!!!!!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Baja Steering SEIZED UP !!!!!!

I posted some time back abou this issue but was so disgusted with the fact the steering was messed up that I just parked the dang thing.....that was until today.
I decided to take the advice of some on here and this is what Ive done so fare...
I replaced the power steering pump...why? because...well...I have no flippin idea lol...I thought it was messed up since I ran it without fluid on accident....this didnt fix it but hey I have a new pump now lol.
I disconnected the steering cable from the ram & the steering wheel and cable move as smooth as butter. The cable moves in and out of the ram without any issues.
I disconnected the power steering quick disconnect lines from the ram.
I disconnected the the ram shafts that connect to steering the outdrive. I also disconnected the two hyd cylinders on the outdrive. The outdrive moves freely without issue.
I then too kthe advice and used a block of wood and a 5 pound hammer. I was able to get the main ram shaft to push in by some muscle (only about a 1/16" every blow of the hammer). Now the shaft is about 3/4 in the ram but still wont move freely.
I was going to remove the two big bolts that hold the ram in place but no so easy to get to the bottom one and they use the "safety plates" that they bend the tabs over to stop the bolts from backing out....well they bent the tab on the back side so its near impossible to get to!!!! URGHHHHHHH!!!!!
Any suggestions? I soaked the shaft with PB Blaster....the main shaft I can rotate with channel locks & some force....the smaller shaft rotates free without much effort at all.
My local marine machanic wants to drag me over the coals $$$ to look at it.....
Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by jlbspd
I posted some time back abou this issue but was so disgusted with the fact the steering was messed up that I just parked the dang thing.....that was until today.
I decided to take the advice of some on here and this is what Ive done so fare...
I replaced the power steering pump...why? because...well...I have no flippin idea lol...I thought it was messed up since I ran it without fluid on accident....this didnt fix it but hey I have a new pump now lol.
I disconnected the steering cable from the ram & the steering wheel and cable move as smooth as butter. The cable moves in and out of the ram without any issues.
I disconnected the power steering quick disconnect lines from the ram.
I disconnected the the ram shafts that connect to steering the outdrive. I also disconnected the two hyd cylinders on the outdrive. The outdrive moves freely without issue.
I then too kthe advice and used a block of wood and a 5 pound hammer. I was able to get the main ram shaft to push in by some muscle (only about a 1/16" every blow of the hammer). Now the shaft is about 3/4 in the ram but still wont move freely.
I was going to remove the two big bolts that hold the ram in place but no so easy to get to the bottom one and they use the "safety plates" that they bend the tabs over to stop the bolts from backing out....well they bent the tab on the back side so its near impossible to get to!!!! URGHHHHHHH!!!!!
Any suggestions? I soaked the shaft with PB Blaster....the main shaft I can rotate with channel locks & some force....the smaller shaft rotates free without much effort at all.
My local marine machanic wants to drag me over the coals $$$ to look at it.....
do you have add on hyd steering ?? are the rams on the drive polished like chrome or black?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 AM
Registered

When you say drive....you mean the actual Alpha One drive? I dont have any aftermarket power steering. The two rams on the Alpha One are perfectly polished.
It has power steering assist = saginaw style GM power steering pump....told that its considered "power assisted steering".
The rods are shiney...polished looking...the smaller rod is shinier than the larger one but its still very clean looking, not gray or black at all.
The last time I actually went out on the boat it steered perfectly. I tried to take it out a couple months later and it was seized up. There was no power steering fluid in the power steering reservior (due to leaking hose clamp on pump). I filled the reservior up and it still didnt work. Thinking i damaged the pump, I replaced the steering pump yesterday and still nothing......thats when i decided to systematically try and diagnose it one step at a time. Now I've narrowed it down to the shaft not moving freely in the ram. This is on a BAJA HAMMER with 350ci.
If I can get in to bend the safety tabs that stop the mounting bolts from backing out, I guess I will just have to pull the whole unit and take it to someone who can diagnose it..... I soaked the shaft with PB Blaster yesterday...maybe this evening when I have time, I can see if this helped it at all.
Any other ideas or suggestions would be greatly appriciated!
Marinas, machanics and specialty shops always take you for a ride when they know your backed in a corner lol.....I typically fix any and all issues and hope this will just be another feather in my cap when its all said and done

Last edited by jlbspd; 01-11-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Registered

This is a quick sketch of the steering on my Baja.

*The steering cable nut has been removed. Steering wheel and cable move free.

*The two power steering lines have been disconnected.

*The Alpha drive swings left / right freely after disconnecting the rams on each side of outdrive.

*The shaft circled in pic was forced inward with a wood block and hammer. About 1/4 of the shaft is still exposed. It took brute force to move shaft inward.This shaft does NOT rotate freely...must use channel locks on end of shaft to rotate.

The smaller shaft rotates freely with little effort. It "appears" that this smaller shaft moves in / out freely. Smaller shaft is hi polished...the bigger shaft I circled in pic is polished and shiney but grease seems dryer than the grease on smaller shaft.

Last edited by jlbspd; 01-11-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actualtor is frozen, just replace it...not a big deal as long as lines come off of...
Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Registered

Actuator....I will google this..
So the entire assembly Im refering to in the sketch picture is tech called the actuator? all this time Im refering to it as the "ram"....
Will call and look around the Tampa Bay area....hopefully someones got one for a great price...maybe someone who has converted to full hydrolic system.
Will need one that will fit a 2001 Baja Hammer.

Last edited by jlbspd; 01-11-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those safety washers on the mount bols can be a pain, if you got 1 ear opened up the other one will open pretty easy if you can get a wrench on the bolt. once you crack the bolt loose it will flatten the other ear as it turns. They may be locktited so they need to be popped loose to break the seal then should come out pretty easy. Hope that helps, Randy
Old 01-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Registered

Randy, much tanks for the information!

Just spoke with a marine mechanic at marina via phone and this was his suggestions:

I explained what’s been taking place with the steering.
He said 95% of time the actuator is fine.
He said typically the cable gets stuck in actuator.
He said the first put pliers / vice grips on end of shaft and get it to rotate. Disconnect the nut that holds the steering cable to the actuator. Put steel pin back in hole at end of shaft and use wood block and hammer to force shaft in actuator. Continue to do this until you’re near the pin. Remove the pin and replace pin with something same size diameter as pin hole, no thicker than shaft. Tape this piece inside hole (wrap tape around shaft over hole to hold piece in..tape will peel off as shaft moves inside). Continue to hammer shaft all the way through actuator. Remove cable & shaft....clean, lube shaft and cable liberally. Reassemble unit.
He said this he believes will fix the problem and has seen this many many more times than not.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Registered

He said the key here is to make sure you dont distort the hole...this is why he said to use the pin and something in the hole when the shaft actually goes inside the actuator.

This boat has had its grimlins since I got her a couple yrs ago...but Ive been tackling them and learning much as I go! This is just another one of those learning experiences....hope this fixes it otherwise he said the actuator is a small fortune to replace.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds to me like this mechanic is talking about removing the steering cable from the actuator, If that is the case that wont do you any good at saving anything if I read your post correctly the main steering cable moves freely inside the actuator. Your drawing isnt familier to me as the actuators I have delt with have a (brazil valve). I know there are two types that I have heard of & you must have the other one. Being that your registered you cant post pics unless you go through Photobucket or something like that or you can email me a pic & I can post it for you. Randy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.