Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Merc.warranty Issues >

Merc.warranty Issues

Notices

Merc.warranty Issues

Old 07-18-2002, 11:56 AM
BILL1134

Angry Merc.warranty Issues

Just found out they won't cover my bravo one drive that broke 3 days out of warranty.They said I was having to much fun with my 496 HO jumping waves etc. which I don't do.I noticed after , oil was leaking out of the drive before it happen because of drive oil on my driveway in different spots from different positions so it was leaking before it happen. Is it true the 496 ho now comes with xr drives not the bravo one drive .If I have to pay for the drive should I go xr drive instead.

Old 07-18-2002, 01:00 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill,
Who says they wont warranty it? The dealer or the factory.. I would look for another dealer or scream louder when the factory answers... Did they have a factory rep talk to you and look at the drive.. If you don't wave jump, make sure they prove to you that you do!! Keep asking questions till they come around. It seems a shame that they wont cover it.. or at least cover the parts or some compromise...

Keep digging.. tell them OSO is watching.. that may help..

Good luck

Dick
Old 07-18-2002, 01:16 PM
BILL1134

Factory rep. din't even look the drive just told them over the phone that they won't cover it under warranty.I've been without my boat for three weeks,that makes me more mad that if I have to pay to get it fix I could have had it repaired in one week and not have to travel 3 hrs each way to the dealer. Volvo Pental was an option on my boat maybe I should have got that instead! Dealer told me to call my insurance company and have them pay for it.

Old 07-18-2002, 01:33 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Keep yelling !!!!!!! unless there is obvious abuse damage merc is very good about covering " good will " warranties ,,, now on the other hand if ya know ya broke it ............ step up to the plate and pay to play !!!!!!!!!

I had a drive gear let loose 6 months out of warranty, I said I wanted to be there during the disassemble they tech said we are going to find blue gears/ clutch or a twisted prop shaft, I said well see,,,,, well,,, we got it apart and the drive looked like new except for a couple teethe missing from the gear,,, I said " must have been a bad casting in that gear huh " uh huh was all I got !!!!! They didnt cover all of it mind you, but a good chunk,,,,,I came right out and told them, if they could find signs of abuse I have no problem footing the bill, but if not I want help with Merc.

By the way,,, I now have 560 hours on the boat since then with NO drive problems,. ( yes I am knocking on the wood desk as I type !!!! )
Old 07-18-2002, 04:30 PM
BILL1134

I don't mine paying for it but I in no way abused or drove this boat beyond it's capabilities.I have to much respect for the things I own.It was never loaned to anyone I am the only driver.I,m also in business myself and deal with warranties all the time and I think the dealer is not helping me out.I have not have one good experience since I bought the boat. Picked up the boat drove home and went to put the boat in the water put it in reverse to take the boat off the trailer it would'nt come off the trailer .I finally put it in forward and the boat came off the trailer. they put a counter rotating prop on it.Got the boat back home checked out the trailer and all bolts holding the winch up were all loose and the winch was falling down and bunks I could move them back and forth they were not tight.When they put the bunks on they put the lag bolt's in the wood on an angle through the side of the wood sticking out and put big gouges in the bottom my brand new boat.I was not happy with the bunk trailer so I had them switch it to a roller trailer went to pick up the boat and they had 32 rollers at the front of the boat and 16 rollers at the back they put the rollers backwards .Had to leave the boat there and drive another 6 hours 2 weeks later to pick up the boat. I had to bring the boat back in the spring to have the uplostery on the back deck repaired so i made an apointment to have it fixed the same day I brought it up,got there and the service manager forgot to make arrangements to have the guy there to fix it.Had to drive another 6 hrs. 2 weeks later to pick up the boat.Got the boat back got in stepped on the back deck and a screw came up through the vinyl and through my foot ,they put 1 1/2 in flooring screws instead of the 5/8 stainless screws that it came with. Now I have been very calm and not loss my cool yet but it's getting very hard not to start yelling at them.Ps they gave me a free oil change for my troubles. I will name the dealer if they they don't pass it under warranty.

Last edited by BILL1134; 07-18-2002 at 10:34 PM.

Old 07-18-2002, 08:53 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to find a new dealer. Merc is very good covering warranty items, even when out of warranty. Unless you have twisted shafts or a hole in a gearcase they should cover it. A good dealer can get almost anything through.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:20 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Your a good man for keeping your cool,,,,stay on them !!!!!!!!!1
Old 07-19-2002, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Dealers..

Can't understand where all you Mr Nice Guys come from! My wife, kids and boat are all of just about equal importance to me. screw with any one of them and see if I dont get a piece of your ass!
Dealers like you are not mentioing need to fix tonka toys or something= not something that is only second to your home. If i stepped on a screw that was twice as long as called for in my boat, after my attorney got thru with them I bet I would own part of that dealership..
Bill 1134, dont mean to come across so strong, just dont believe in turning the other cheek!! Just my .02 worth..

eliminator219
Old 07-19-2002, 12:41 PM
BILL1134

I will tell them what I think of their service after I get things taken care of with my outdrive. I talked to mercury customer relations and their sending the broken pieces to their office to check them out to see if theres a remote possibilty they will cover it.I will keep my fingers crossed.

Old 07-19-2002, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call the VP of Mercs warranty department. I can get his name and number if you need it as a buddy of mine had to go this route. Make them cover it!!
Ken
[email protected]

Quick Reply: Merc.warranty Issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.