Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Long crank times to start engine >

Long crank times to start engine

Notices

Long crank times to start engine

Old 07-21-2002, 01:07 AM
blackhawk

Best way I have found to determine if the engine is flooded or starving is put the throttle at wide open(be ready tp bring it back up when it fires!). If your motor is flooded, it should fire right up at WOT. AT least then you know for sure what you're dealing with.

Old 07-21-2002, 10:43 AM
bwiencek

Tinkerboater - There is a good shot of fuel from the accelerator pump after shutdown, See messages above - fuel pressiure stays steady after shutdown and will slowly drop to 0 after a couple of hours. Also starting procedure when warm is to turn key and NOT pump the throttle at all.

Turbojack - carb does indeed have a choke, it's wide open when warm

blackhawk I'll have to try starting at WOT and see what happens.

Thanks for everyone's help so far - I've got several things to try and get back to everyone on the results.

Old 07-24-2002, 10:17 AM
bwiencek

Some updates...

The long crank times in the first post are probably exaggerated - more like 15-20 seconds (seems a lot longer than that) then it stumbles to life...

When starting warm giving a little throttle will make it start easier - not quite as fast as the old Rochester carb, but faster - more like a couple of seconds of cranking before it fires up..

Last edited by bwiencek; 07-24-2002 at 10:22 AM.

Old 07-24-2002, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Flooded engine. You have fuel leaking into your engine.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:28 AM
bwiencek

Tinkerboater - that's what I've been thinking all along - just don't know where it's coming from or how to solve it! I'm about ready to try another carb temporarily (might be a non-marine carb - but should prove the fact). I'm ordering the spacer to see if that helps isolate the carb - that's the last suggestion Edelbrock has. We've been through everything else at least 2x.

The funny thing is that I've found another guy locally that has a ford truck and put on an edelbrock carb and is having the long crank times too! It's not the marine version of the carb but the basic design is different.

Old 07-25-2002, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if this helps:

i have a vortec 355 with an edelbrock air gap intake and the small 600 cfm edelbrock carb. it starts and runs great. The air gap and the edelbrock carb are great in torque down low and the boat is quick. I played with my edelbrock carb and found the factory setting to work great right out of the box.

For top speed I don't think you can beat a q-jet.

I think the small edelbrock uses a little less fuel than the q-jet.

I have read about other guys having trouble with the edelbrock 750 on sbc. It is easy to make my 600 scream and I love the sound of the secondaries. It may not be the fastest but it sounds fast.
Old 07-27-2002, 12:15 AM
21_senza_383_2

I dyno'd the Q-Jet & Holley 750 DP back-to-back this spring on my 383 during setup. Holley pulled better ETA's from 3500 - 6000 RPM's, and in the end it calculated out to 7 HP gain after proper jetting.

Obviously, many people choose the Holleys and they work great. The owner of the speed shop suggested I stay w/ the Q-Jet. Less sensitive to gumming & misc. tweaking needs than the Q-Jet. I listened to him and am happy everytime the Q-Jet fires right up.

I run the Q-Jet. Call me a wuss, but I can never get enough time on the boat, so I'd rather not be poking around in the hatch trying to figure out the Gremlin Of The Week.

Old 07-27-2002, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My stock 502 mag's had the Q-jet's and the carbs would run dry durring the week of not being used. I would have to crank for about 30 seconds while pumping the throttle to get it to fire. Now with the HOLLEY 950HP's they fire right up EVERY time first try.