Changes in fuel octane >

Changes in fuel octane

Notices

Changes in fuel octane

Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TahoeRick
Interesting comment. I am rebuilding two 900 HP motors due to detonation damage. Very expensive... Don't want to have to do it again.. Keep the comments coming guys!

Rick
Retune them to work on pump gas, at the elevation you will be running.

My guess is it detonated from too much boost, too much timing, or not enough fuel.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 27daytona
Wide load permit for a year in California costs $90 and are over the counter. Check the laws as for the requirements of the tow vehicle and tow times. We only rent the storage units and stay at the Hampton Inn. Fuel is never a problem and why would you want to run Race fuel for 900 h.p.? There are much wider and longer boats than ours. Relax. Doug
This rebuild costing in excess of $30K because of low octane...Don't want to use 91 Octane.. 103 would be fine, or something like that without ethanol in it. I believe in Boy Scout motto: "Be Prepared"! Just need address of where I can get in and out and get a reasonable octane fuel, and thanks to previous post I may have found it!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Registered

CA wanted me to have pace car in front, full wide load procedures - just to go from Tahoe to Sacramento on I 50. At that time 80 was closed to wide loads due to construction. I have one year NV permit -$90.

Plan on going through Vegas, need to check if they will let me through stateline at Hoover. I remember leaving Hoover south being a little tight. Plus, got full inspection at border.

Otherwise, will look into going 395 through CA
Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER

My guess is it detonated from too much boost, too much timing, or not enough fuel.
Clogged injectors AND bad fuel-2 yrs old...
Old 02-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Registered

Actually, we are tuning it for two elevations. 6250 ft and sea level with a flick of a switch and blower pulley change. This way I don't have to buy another set of expensive props and won't run rich at altitude. Plus, will have O2 sensors installed in exhaust with complete EFI update.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like a good plan!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Registered

Sounds like a good plan!
Hope so! Motor was WAY overdue for refreshing. I thought these motors lasted hundreds of hours. Came to find out top end should be done every 50 hrs and bottom end every 100 hrs. Do I have that right? Same refreshing schedule as Merc 1075's... I will check this to make sure I got it right.