Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How to measure X-Dimension and hull degree ? >

How to measure X-Dimension and hull degree ?

Notices

How to measure X-Dimension and hull degree ?

Old 07-22-2002, 05:33 PM
Intolerant1

Default How to measure X-Dimension and hull degree ?

These terms are used alot and Im curious as to how they are properly measured.

Old 07-22-2002, 06:01 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A quicky way to mesure the x is to measure from the bottom of the V to the bottom of the gimble. Then add 9.25". That'll get you in the ballpark.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:24 PM
Intolerant1

Does that equation apply to all outdrives? Mines an OMC. I guess I want to know what the definition of X dimension is as well as how to calculate it.

Old 07-22-2002, 08:29 PM
Blackhawkdn

The X dimension is from the bottom of the v to the centerline of crankshaft

Old 07-22-2002, 09:56 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Or you can simply measure the distance from the centerline of your prop shaft to the bottom of your V. Mine is 4.5 inches (shaft below the V). A lot of guys use this dimension to compare boats. As for hull degrees, you would really need and inclinometer to correctly measure it. Or you can do the geometry thing and figure out how far it falls per inch. Then do the math (and DON'T ask me to do it!!!!) I have a digital inclinometer at work, so I don't have to do no stinkin math!!!!
Old 07-23-2002, 12:37 AM
Intolerant1

Ok, one says centerline of crankshaft to bottom of vee, the other says centerline of propshaft. Judging from the 59 views with only a couple responses, looks like I had a question worth asking. Back to hull degree. Measured at the transome I'm guessing?

Old 07-23-2002, 09:10 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Mercury measures their x-dim from the bottom of hull to the crank center line. It's roughly 9.25" from the bottom of the bravo/alpha gimble to the center line. So no, this won't work for your OMC drive.

What WF is talking about is the same thing. The higher the x-dim is the more the drive comes out of the water. It's really the distance below the bottom of the hull that matters. For example-if you had a 15" x-dim and put a shortened lower unit out, your x-dim wouldn't change even though the bottom to prop shaft distance was reduced. Does that make sense?
Old 07-23-2002, 11:20 AM
Zitto111

What should the x dimension be on a 27' single engine boat with a 24 degree dead rise be. I know it varies with different boats, but approximately how far down should the center of the propsahft be the bottom ov the V?

Old 07-23-2002, 11:06 PM
Intolerant1

Im at 8-9 inches roughly with my King Cobra on a 26' Liberator. Is that alot? Just purchased a Rev4 as I am told they are good for deep x-dimensoin setups (thats why I asked this question). My slip is at about 17 % with every three blade Ive tried. Hoping this workes .

Old 07-24-2002, 08:56 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

It depends on what your use is. Theres a bruiser by my dealer that has the gimble mounted right on the keel. The prop is what 10", 12" below? There's a P-29 Scarab up here where the prop is at least 1" above the bottom. Neither height is wrong as their purpose is different.

But to answer your question: your boat is setup to be a cruiser and will never see a very high efficency or speeds. The prop is too deep for a high speed boat. The trade off is that you'll have good low speed control, a effective reverse, and be able to tow a dozen skiers. Short of actually filling the transom to raise the gimble/engine I know of no way to raise your x-dim.

Last edited by Cord; 07-24-2002 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply: How to measure X-Dimension and hull degree ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.