Propshaft Runout >

Propshaft Runout

Notices

Propshaft Runout

Old 04-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the deep
Sorry brother but a true dead blow hammer leaves no marks on something hard like a prop shaft .
Thanks for saying it.... it needed saying.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the picture showing up? It shows on my Windows Surface, doesn't show on my iPhone......
Old 04-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by low_psi
I measured it with a dial indicator that was attached to an adjustable arm, that has a set of clamping pliers on the other end. I took the measurement on the smooth part of the shaft directly behind the splined area.
Ya, that seems excessive.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got all of the oil drained, degreased and cleaned it up today. So it is ready to ship back to SEI. Hopefully I can get them to send me a box to ship it back in.....
Old 04-15-2013, 01:34 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

To properly measure the runout, the propshaft really needs to be taken out of the lower and checked on a bench with precision tools.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi
While funny.... SEI will actually still warranty it.... They have a 3 year no questions asked warranty. I called them at the end of the season and told them I struck something and they said, it is covered just email is a picture of the serial number plate from inside the top of the housing.... They told me of I forgot to loft the drive and drug it up a ramp, they will cover that too.....

wow. thats a great vendor. well... then let me suggest this... i think you send it back or whatever and get a new one but if you want to try to straighten it , take it out and take it to your local heat treating shop. they spend half their lives straightning bent shafts that bend while being heat treated and can usually get them inside of a 1/10 or 2 at a cost so cheap you can't believe it. beating it with a hammer is wrong not only because it is crude and stupid but it is also ineffective. when a shaft bends, the metal both on the compression and tensile side of the bend work harden instantly. when you try to just bend it back , the material on either side of those two spots is softer than the original position so the staft " straightens " by " bending again right next to the original bend... so you end up with the grain structure in an S shape. you will feel it when you run your fingers down it when you are done " fixing" it. if you are on a desert island and need to get home then you take a rock and beat it close to straight and get home. if you have some mechanical sympathy and care about your hardware at all and have any sense of craftsmanship, you either get them to send you a new one or straighten it properly.

with all due respect to the guys with the hammers at the ready, doing something the wrong way like some hack just because you can get away with it, doesn't make it the right way to do something.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
To properly measure the runout, the propshaft really needs to be taken out of the lower and checked on a bench with precision tools.
Very true ... wacking it with a hammer is not the solution ... it's not very hard nor labor intensive to drop the lower - pull the prop shaft... get it straightened correctly - then replace and reset the bearing load.... may be a good time to take a peak at the pinion anyway....
Old 04-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 486 Likes on 178 Posts

Sorry guys but were talking about a very minute amount of movement . Holy hell it's not bent in half . Gently finessing that tiny amount out of that shaft will not effect the changes in the steel that you prescribe nor would i consider it butchery . Nor will you bait me into a long drawn out argument as the point is moot anyway .
Old 04-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by the deep
Sorry guys but were talking about a very minute amount of movement . Holy hell it's not bent in half . Gently finessing that tiny amount out of that shaft will not effect the changes in the steel that you prescribe nor would i consider it butchery . Nor will you bait me into a long drawn out argument as the point is moot anyway .
So true. Its done every day in industry with great success. This isn't rocket science. There is a fine line between a perfectly correct solution and a workable solution. In reality we deal with workable solutions. In theory we deal with perfectly correct solutions. Let the baitng beginning as I won't be biting either.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With .010" runout measured so close to the housing, I'd be more worried about the bearings than the shaft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.