Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Crane 168731 reversion? >

Crane 168731 reversion?

Notices

Crane 168731 reversion?

Old 04-27-2013, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all the input guys. Do you know if all the cams suggested will work with my Dart block? Someone earlier in the thread mentioned I might need a cam that will work with a mark IV block. Can anyone confirm that?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Ya Mild Thunder, I bet you don't even have a "magic room"!
Lmao! Where do you do all your machine work shooter??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOKv...hyr0hK&index=8
Alex,
I would have expected a little better facility from you with all your knowledge...just kidding I know whose mega shop that is. We all had to start somewhere, when I was 15 I would have been proud enough of that set up to post a video (on 8mm) for the world to see. I do believe that room is better known as the 540 kissy/huggy room.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zx6rr33
Thank you for all the input guys. Do you know if all the cams suggested will work with my Dart block? Someone earlier in the thread mentioned I might need a cam that will work with a mark IV block. Can anyone confirm that?
The cams I listed for you will work in your Dart block. The 168731 cam will not. If you want this cam for your Dart block then try to find a 139731 (if you can find one) or139011, which is the same thing with a new number.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE=pslonaker;3913944]He doesnt have a 420 HP 454 and the cam I suggested is ALOT bigger then the stocker cam in it from Mercruiser. Besides that you might want to look at the price of the cam you are talking about...if you can find one. You are not going to get 500 HP from a cam swap alone in a 454. [QUOTE]

Well, definitely not gonna see 500HP with your cam recommendation!! Probably not even 400HP with that sweet entry level 218/224 .500 lift flat tappet. Nice little upgrade for a merc 330HP 454. Not the cam that belongs in a 454 with Dart heads, 9.2:1 compression, forged rotator, and good intake, carb and exhaust. 500HP is very doable, he has the parts, just needs the proper cam setup, intake and carbs. Slapping that cam you suggested in there combined with those dart 308 heads, is like putting a 4cyl in a corvette. Those Dart's 308's are plenty capable for 500+hp.

You say you used that cam in many customers boats with great results. Well, lets see the dyno sheet? How much power you making with that rv cam?

Pslonakler's cam recommendation. Not sure what cam he's reffering this one is MUCH bigger than.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...?csid=403&sb=2

Stock 454 400HP, 420HP cam.

http://www.cranecams.com/product/car...detail&p=24005

zx6rr33, oso used to be a great place to get good cam info. Nowdays, you might as well post your questions on the Martha stewart cooking forum, and probably get better recommendations than what you'll get from guys like pslonaker.

Obviously your not getting the answers here. Do yourself a favor and give bob madera from Marine Kinetics a call. Bob will set you up with everything you need, with real world expectations and results.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by pslonaker
He doesnt have a 420 HP 454 and the cam I suggested is ALOT bigger then the stocker cam in it from Mercruiser. Besides that you might want to look at the price of the cam you are talking about...if you can find one. You are not going to get 500 HP from a cam swap alone in a 454. He said he had a budget and his motor doesnt have a roller in it now so to go to the 731 it is going to be expensive. he has to get "retro-fit" roller lifters since he cant get a spider plate and the retro roller lifters are going to cost him around $600.00. How many motors have you put together? You really need to look at and understand the cam spec sheet rather than go off what you read on Summit...There is a lot of differences. I build them almost daily and I gave him the information that has worked for many of my customers that were also on a budget. He can do whatever he wants but if he does it wrong he gets to do it all over again.
now thats some funny chit right there,pole smoker telling mild thunder[mr research]about cams,mild has forgotten more about engine building than smoker will ever know.polesmoker,you are a legend in your own mind.better answer the phone smoker,it,s chubby calling.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Ya Mild Thunder, I bet you don't even have a "magic room"!
Lmao! Where do you do all your machine work shooter??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOKv...hyr0hK&index=8
Magic Room!! LMAO
Old 04-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Do yourself a favor and give bob madera from Marine Kinetics a call. Bob will set you up with everything you need, with real world expectations and results.
X2! If you want a cam that is right for your specific application, and makes the most useable power possible with your setup, instead of a generic (works pretty good) cam, then call Bob. No worries about reversion then either. Also, a lot of the Dart blocks can use a cam retainer plate on the front so you can use a step nose cam.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Registered

Heres a couple quotes from pslonaker from a 454 cam thread last year. This thread hes suggesting a very mild stock type cam, but last year he was suggesting a wild duration flat tappet cam for a 454. His cam recommendations are so far apart from each other, its ridiculous. Does he or doesn't he use comp cams marine sticks? This thread he says no way on the 731 cam, last year he says use it. Is this the guy you wanna take cam suggestions from?

What are the lobe centers on this cam. This is where your reversion will come from, but on another note, I have never seen a Comp Cam marine version not start to lay down at about 4600 rpm. I will not use them. You would be better off to use the Crane 731 cam...it doesnt lay down.

If you are running flat tappet cams, I would suggest that you run these Comp Cams... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-K11-244-4/ or http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-11-244-4/ .
Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X3.......I should have mentioned my friend Bob Madara for your cam but I has caught up in a good laugh from the video.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Registered

"Magic room"

Definition of "magic"

1. the art of producing illusions as entertainment by the use of sleight of hand, deceptive devices, etc.; legerdemain; conjuring: to pull a rabbit out of a hat by magic.
2. the art of producing a desired effect or result through the use of incantation or various other techniques that presumably assure human control of supernatural agencies or the forces of nature.

Now it makes sense to me. It really is a magical shop full of illusions and entertainment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.