Notices

Motor Tight

Old 05-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Tight

So I am going to fire motor after winter season, and was getting that "clicking" from starter. So checked/cleaned all cables. Changed starter. Changed selenoid. Checked grounds.

Motor still wouldn't turn over. Jumped it from running truck with all plugs out to make sure wasn't seized and it turned over.

Put it back together and it was tight again. Nothing seems seized on front of engine (ie waterpump alternator etc). Finally got it to spin and fire.

But when I shut it off and tried to start again it seemed very tight and was clicking.

Anything you can think of to check? Something like a gimble bearing make the engine tight?

Thanks
Old 05-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Registered

Hows oil pressure ? any anti freeze or water in cylinders when plugs were pulled ? try a new battery ?

Last edited by PRIMECUT; 05-21-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PRIMECUT
Hows oil pressure ? any anti freeze or water in cylinders when plugs were pulled ? try a new battery ?
Have ordered new oil pressure sending unit, should be tomorrow. But ran perfect, no knocks or noises. Old plugs had no rust or moisture. Checked oil and was not white or foamy...

Batteries are suspect..even though both say "charged" when I put power directly to each it wouldn't turn motor over...but I am skeptical that both batteries would go dead at same time? And when switch was at "both" it wouldn't turn over??

Last edited by gumbya55; 05-21-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Registered

Try fresh battery. That what it sounds like the problem is if the strarter is making clicking noises.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Registered

I would of changed the battery b4 i even changed the starter ,batteries go down over winter storage and if they are LOW and freeze there JUNK
Old 05-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PRIMECUT
I would of changed the battery b4 i even changed the starter ,batteries go down over winter storage and if they are LOW and freeze there JUNK
I'm going to pull them tonight and have them tested under load...
Old 05-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Registered

Batteries are my first thought, especially if it turned over with a jump.

Always fully charge the batteries after a lay up. Better yet, they should be on a maintainer.