starter interchange -- HELP >

starter interchange -- HELP

Notices

starter interchange -- HELP

Old 07-27-2002, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter interchange -- HELP

Can I update to the new, small, gear drive starter for my 540 mark IV?? If so, what Merc. pt.#?? Need to know ASAP cause I'm stuck on an island, it's a long row to the parts store, and I definitely need something better than the old H.D."fat boy" I've been using. I sure don't want to spend the bucks for the same thing I got that never did work all that well if there is another choice. Thanks in advance, guys!! Please post a reply cause I'm not at my home unit. --- Jer
Old 07-27-2002, 02:42 PM
Registered

JP- do you have rear mount/TRS or standard mounted on bottom of block? 14" flywheel or 12 3/4" flywheel?
All #'s may be superseded by newer PN's
TRS top mount: 50-76965A3
STD bottom mount w/offset bolts: 12" (big) starter for 14" flywheel-
50-12177A2, 50-99418A2, or 50-77328A3.
Permanent Magnet for 14" flywheel: 50-806963A4
STD gear reduction: bottom mount 12 3/4" flywheel
50-81248A3, 50-812604A2, or 50-822330A2

BTW- you never sent me any more pics of your transom setback/ notch.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For the people with big cube engines or advanced ignition timed engines. What you can do is install an ignition kill switch that will kill the spark while you turn the key to engage the starter. This allows the engine to turn over quickly and then you remove your finger from the kill switch to engage the ignition and the engine should start instantly. If you don't want to install the switch you can remove your lanyard kill switch and get the engine turning and then push in the botton to start -then carefully install the lanyard without letting the button out.

The lanyard trick also works very well if you ran your battery almost dead and your engine turns over very slow but won't start. The battery has enough power to turn the engine over but not with the ignition on. Pull the lanyard to get the engine turning and as soon as it is push in the button.
Old 07-28-2002, 08:53 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

You can go to the merc dealer and look up a starter for a newer gen 6 motor. I know that they are using the newer starters. The gen 5's might be also, but I can't guarantee it. You proably have the large 168 tooth flywheel, so make sure you get a starter with the mounting bolts straight across-not the staggerd pattern.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:31 AM
Registered

Default DELAYED THANKS!!

Thanks for the replys, Guys! Got off the island under my own power finally and back home to my own computer unit. Had some serious water and electric problems at home when I got back, some of which are still ongoing so I haven't had the time to chat or to thank you. I did finally find a knowledgable guy who knew his way around the Merc parts program on the computer in Canada and there is a high torque, small dia., gear drive starter avbailable from Merc. to fit the mark IV block with verticle staggered bolt pattern but no one had it when I needed it so---I got another "fat boy". I'll chat later when I get all caught up here. And again, thanks for responding. --- Jer