Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trs to Speedmaster 3a conversion >

Trs to Speedmaster 3a conversion

Notices

Trs to Speedmaster 3a conversion

Old 08-03-2002, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Well, when I coverted my boat from TRS to a Bravo One with Stelling boxes, I kept the engines in the same spot and only put a driveshaft in place where the tranny's once were as Audiofn has mentioned. My engines had front and rear engine mounts so there was plenty of strength to hold in place without the tranny's. However, this past winter I had decided to move my engines back to a stock Bravo One factory type installation. In other words, it's how relatively any boat would come from the factory with a Bravo One system. By moving the engines back to stock factory installation, I am able to now eliminate the rear engine mounts as the rear part of the engine will now be mounted to the inner trasom plate via the bell housing with two bolts thus totally elimnating the need of a rear engine mount any longer. I have switched from the stock Merc front engine mounts to some Gil tubular engine mounts which are a little better design, less bulky and don't take up as much room. Anyway, by moving the engines back from where they once were to the stock Bravo transom mount (aprox 10 inches), it does obviously require moving the front engine mounts. This is where SGrady said it takes a lot of tweeking and fussing and he is definately RIGHT-----Engines in, engines out---engines in, engines out---in/out, in/out, in/out, in/out, for about half the day trying to get the alignment correct when making the mounts and drilling the holes in the CORRECT spots. Anyway, glad that's over with!
BTW, the driveshafts were about $300 a piece extra

Last edited by KAAMA; 08-03-2002 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He is asking about TRS to Speedmaster, not bravo's. Anyone do this conversion????
Old 08-06-2002, 12:44 AM
Registered

Hi Bulldog,

Hey bud, I see you on here from time to time---how are you doing? Anyway, you're right and I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get off topic from what was oringinally asked----I know that can easily happen here, but "40Scarab" was also asking about a TRS to Bravo conversion in his second post and I was only trying to be helpful.

BTW, how's that boat of yours doing?

Last edited by KAAMA; 08-06-2002 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:01 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

And I had asked about mounting up the engine. I guess that my boat only haveing the standard engine mounts in the middle of the engine and using the back tranny mount means that I would be up for some major fabricating. Sounds like I will be staying with my TRS drives untell I have to make the swap. Oh well I like them better then Bravo anyhow

Jon
Old 08-06-2002, 10:02 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 546 Posts

Hey KAAMA, ever think about just moving one engine back to the stock bravo position up against the transom? And leave the other where it was setup with the TRS style? Sorta having a mini stagger? Wonder ho that would affect the handling of the boat at all??? It would help a little in working on the engines i think, eh?

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-08-2002, 01:24 AM
Registered

Kaama-
I'm sorry- I was not jumping in your case, just pointed that out.

I have a couple of leaking fuel tanks, and am going to have 4 new ones fabricated. Those tanks were very securely foamed in, and water must have collected in and around the foam. I have 1 more tank to get loose. The rear motor will have to come out, and am going to remove it when the new tanks are ready.

I have been working on it off and on, and want to take the 'When in doubt' approach to the tank situation.

I have modified the trailer from a lift-off only, and still have to mount the winch post. I am also doing some repairs to the deck- there are some hairline cracks on top of the bulkheads- this deck is THIN. Larry Smith said "oh, by the way, the deck is not made to be walked on." What an understatement. I may put some carbon fiber tape/ribs under it. I think just a little extra support will solve the problem.

I am now shooting to have it ready for the SBI worlds. The hull is currently all white, and I am thinking of putting KAAMA down the sides as was originally done, only using neon colors for background. Opinions?????

Also, do you know what the Kaama logo with the heart, etc. was???- I found some red paint on the deck about 6 feet from the bow....

I am hoping someone will start a post about the Larry Smith Scarabs similar to the Apache post currently in development. Mike J, are you there?

Bulldog aka Ronnie
Old 08-08-2002, 08:49 AM
Registered

Wally,
Yes, it would be nice to maybe stagger them somewhat---anything that makes the engines easier to work on is a definate plus. Although my engines are already pretty easy to work on as they are side by side. This is because the back support of the back seat is part of the engine hatch so it nicely opens up the engine pit to get at and work on the engines which is a feature that I really like on the Active Thunder. No hanging/bending over a firewall/backseat like on most boats unless a boat already comes with a decent amount of space between the engines and firewall. Now, having moved the engines back another 10 inches (stock Bravo installation) they will be even that much more accessible.

Bulldog,
I remember taking the fuel tanks out of my 38' KAAMA SE---it's a job! I completely gutted that whole boat. Of course mine was a Wellcraft---and I'm sure it wasn't as strong and nicely built as a Larry Smith piece. I wanted to take the saddle tanks out permenently (68 gallons each) and drop the cockpit floor (5-7 inches) as much as I could (just above the belly tank) so that I would have a little more freeboard in the boat. That was about the only thing I didn't like about the KAAMA SE was that there wasn't much freeboard and about half of your body was hanging out of boat's cockpit. I like personally like the feeling of being in a DEEP cockpit---makes me feel secure---like I'm really IN the boat! I feel that way with my Active Thunder. So, if you're removing those fuel tanks you might consider dropping the cockpit floor----you just might like it a little better. It's all personal preference I guess. I wish you well with your project. Keep us posted will you. Boy, did I ever go off the thread subject----whew! Sorry all---it's just too easy to do!
Old 08-09-2002, 12:15 AM
Registered

Kaama-
My tanks are 4 saddle tanks, 2 on each side. they are 48 inches long, about 17 inches wide. The tanks were held in with urethane foam which I broke out in pieces. The next time I ever do this I will probably try a pressure washer- I bet it would demolish that foam.

My hatches are about 8 feet long. My setup is a full stagger with Patterson Marine headers. Mucho cool. My other boat is a Bayli.....
TO BE CONTINUED.

Bulldog over and out
Old 08-09-2002, 01:15 AM
Registered

Bulldog,

Man, I'd LOVE to see that boat! Sounds awesome!
Old 08-09-2002, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

i went that route and did this, it was a lot easier!!!!!
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...threadid=29406

Quick Reply: Trs to Speedmaster 3a conversion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.