Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Chasing a 300-400 RPM drop issue in Port motor!! >

Chasing a 300-400 RPM drop issue in Port motor!!

Notices

Chasing a 300-400 RPM drop issue in Port motor!!

Old 10-21-2015, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Are both engines running the same ancillaries, as in power steering pumps, alternators, etc? I can't help but believe that after complete identical rebuilds that the loss is in the engines at all. Drives, ancillary systems, air flow to engines, and so on, but can't believe engine is the problem...
Old 10-21-2015, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you checking voltages to the distributors/boxes under load?have you tried swapping the ignition wiring for the distributors/boxes from motor to motor?have you load tested the powers and grounds and checked voltage drop on the wiring to the ignition system?not sure what type of ignition boxes you have but could rfi(radio frequency interference) be affecting the ignition?alternators,plug wires can be hell on crank sensors etc.didnt you say you had a crank trigger ignition?these are some things we see in the automotive field that may apply to your engines depending on your ignition set up.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eliminated572
Thank Brian I will double check. I have been running the port side a 1/2 # higher on indicator but even with that is the 500 difference at WOT. The port ends up to the point of trim just before blow out is how I set them for WOT runs. But anything is worth checking at this point. To get the RPMs the same I would need to awkwardly offset the trim, basically roosting the port and running the starboard flat. I did check the thru hull pick up locations and both are exactly in the same location in relation to the hull and drives. Nothing is screaming at me there either.

Something I did notice, not sure if its any clue. When steering to the right the port side comes unhooked. When steering to the left the starboard comes unhooked. I believe this is very common with cats. BUT when steering to the right and unhooking the port I'll gain about 8 mph. When steering to the left and unhooking the starboard I'll only gain 2-4mph. This is cruising at 40-50 mph. Possibly because im throwing more throttle at the port and its dragged down until it unhooks? Not sure but something I noticed that was odd.....
Have you noticed while running straight if the rooster tails are even? On the Nor-tech it was easy as I just had to look in the mirrors and adjust the trim accordingly.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While running straight the port is definitely less roost. Not as aggressive or tall. If I offset the throttles to match rpm they are close to equal at same trim position.

The starboard side has the power steering pump. The port has the stereo. I completely unhooked the stereo/amps for tomorrows test as well. On the last engines I completely swapped all ignition components and netted zero change. I ohmed out the 12v battery lead to starter. 0.00 ohms. Also ohmed out negative battery lead to block ground. 0.00 ohms. Also added 2 new grounds from the main ground to each head. I have not tested voltage under load, only on trailer and getting 14.5 volts while running. 12.8 volts shut off. Both the magnetic pickups in the pro billets are brand new. Both reluctor wheels are brand new. Both engines hold rock steady 34 degrees at idle and revving on trailer.

So to sum up this next test: Drives are swapped. Plug wires are swapped (Again). Carbs are swapped. Coils are swapped (Again). Stereo/amps removed from port battery. O2 sensor installed in port header. Bringing 5 gallon fuel can to run port temporarily from.
I know this seems like a lot of things changed but everything other than the drives I can rule back out on water if the problem moved or cured.

Last edited by Eliminated572; 10-21-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:52 PM
Registered

I should have clarified on the wiring.have you swapped the actual power and ground wires(if that's even possible) or harnesses between the ignition systems and load tested the wiring not just check resistance?one strand of wire will give you 0 ohm reading on a meter but will not carry the load when there is a draw on the circuit.depending on the circuit we use different sized light bulbs(not a test light) such as a brake bulb or old school headlamp.they pull different loads on the circuit.voltage drop is also an indication of resistance in a circuit.ohms is not always an indication that a circuit is good.also if you have an alternator causing rfi u can just unplug the voltage regulator and retest. you stated earlier you felt like the engine had a kind of a miss.rfi can mess with crank signal inputs.may not be your problem but something else that's easy to try.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next time out keep throttles the same and raise the port until roosts are even and see if rpm's match without giving port extra throttle. Then try the same offset throughout the rpm range, if they stay close to the same rpm I bet you have a drive angle from side to side problem.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by brian41
Next time out keep throttles the same and raise the port until roosts are even and see if rpm's match without giving port extra throttle. Then try the same offset throughout the rpm range, if they stay close to the same rpm I bet you have a drive angle from side to side problem.
Its not the drive angle. I cant possibly trim the port drive high enough to match the starboard rpm wise.... well of course unless I drop the starboard way down. Probably take 4-5 numbers on the indicators if I had to guess. Major difference for sure
Old 10-21-2015, 03:15 PM
Registered

The wires are not long enough to swap from side to side.

Well, I guess for water testing I could take a set of jumper cables from positive battery to starter positive and from negative battery to block ground and compare?? These are the locations my msd/coil are gaining 12v/ground.

You would think the starter wouldnt crank at 34 degrees locked timing if it didn't have a decent 12volt and ground??

Last edited by Eliminated572; 10-21-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:17 PM
Registered

The misfire issue had been cured a month ago. Both engines had it. Mag pickup polarity was backwards. Didn't solved the rpm difference at all.

Last edited by Eliminated572; 10-21-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Eliminated572
Its not the drive angle. I cant possibly trim the port drive high enough to match the starboard rpm wise.... well of course unless I drop the starboard way down. Probably take 4-5 numbers on the indicators if I had to guess. Major difference for sure
What he is saying is that the drive is sideways while you are going straight. It may be a very small amount but it doesn't take much to cause an issue. You may have fixed this when you adjusted your tie bar. That would make sense that you pick up more speed turing one direction and not as much (i.e. Make it worse) speed turning the other.

Last edited by Questofpower; 10-21-2015 at 08:01 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.