Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW what a project!!!! Keep the pictures coming

Jon
Old 08-05-2002, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maxx, so in essence the skeg is 2 inches longer? An Imco shaft is about $300 Do you think you can do it cheaper? How did you decide where to cut the drive at? Cool. Greg
Old 08-05-2002, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will continue to post as we progress. Greg, we measured down the vertical shaft journal to 1/2" below the bottom race seat and made our cut there. I didn't want to get too low, because I need to be able to fit a tig torch inside to weld and seal that area. Also, the Bravo has an oil passage that leads from just below the lower race area to the lower Torrington bearing. I still need to perform one more machining process to keep that functional. As far as the shaft goes, the jury is still out. I am trying to have them produced at a reasonable price. Being a former drag racer, I could purchase a pair of aftermarket axles for around $300.00 and a Powerglide input shaft for around $200.00. I don't see where there is anything super special, compared to those items, about a Bravo vertical shaft that warrants the price these companies charge for them. If you or anyone would like to discuss it further; I can be reached via email: [email protected] or phone: 757-739-5196.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Very interesting project Maxx/John---keep the pictures coming and keep alearnin' about them drives son!
Old 08-05-2002, 02:19 PM
Registered

Mark, will do! Audiofin, your project looks intense as well. I am very fond of Formulas and can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:56 PM
bajaboss

I know John personally and he really knows his stuff when it comes to these kind of projects. He helped me rebuild my bravo to withstand the 650PSHP blower motor I built and so far so good The next step is to run the new lower and hopefully make some good gains. I must say that this was a well thought out process and should work really well. I also have to agree with him that the vertical shaft should be ok when welded, (I have a background in metallurgy), but like he mentioned he also sent my vertical shaft off to a company to have it evaluated at a more competitive price. I must say it looks good so far.
DT

Old 08-06-2002, 11:56 PM
Registered

Default Price

Thanks for those nice comments Don. Now that my head swelling has gone down, I have received a lot of emails requesting a price to do this job. At the risk of sounding too much like an advertisment, and getting kicked off the board; I figured I can do the entire job for well under a $1000.00. That would include cutting the drive and the shaft, re-shimming, re-sealing with new propshaft seals and O rings, and re-setting the rolling torques. The drive would be returned ready to bolt on, just a little shorter. Options will include after-market shafts, new bearings /races, and nose cones. I don't want to get too specific out of respect for the OSO rules, but I would be glad to email the prices. I plan to include a pretty good garauntee on the vertical shaft, also.
Old 08-07-2002, 08:05 AM
B.R.S.

Maxx you project is very interesting. I believe the prices for most marine stuff is way too high just because it says marine. A few years ago I rebuilt a TRS gimbal the merc prices for the bearings and seals were very expensive. I noticed they all had Timkin and Chicago Rawhide numbers and could be bought from a good auto parts store for literally a fraction of the price. I think they all cost me around 15 bucks instead of around 100. E mail me more info on your shortening as I was planning on it this winter and would be intrested in your service.

Old 08-09-2002, 10:12 PM
Registered

B.R.S. did you get my email I sent you? There has been a bit of a delay in welding the two pieces together. I sustained a flash burn this week, but I picked up some eye drops from my doctor so everything is feeling better. Hopefully, I can get to it this weekend. Man, with all the injuries I've had recently I feel like Tim Allen BTW, you may have noticed that I have not mentioned the "M" word; I am afraid that if I do I will have an irresistible urge to double prices.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maxx hows the project going? Hows the eyes? I've had eye burn myself and it feels like sand in the eyes. Hope you feel better. Greg

Quick Reply: Cutting a Bravo lower

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.