Steering Stabilizers?? >

Steering Stabilizers??

Notices

Steering Stabilizers??

Old 08-04-2002, 04:39 PM
Luxy60

Default Steering Stabilizers??

Looking for opinions on the value/ benefits of adding a steering
stabilizer to my 25' Outlaw. The boat has a stock 454Mag and tops out about 65MPH. As an alternative to a full hydraulic steering system I am considering adding a single piston stabilizer.
My questions are, do they work, i.e. really improve steering feel/ control/ backlash and will they provide a measure of safety if you lose a steering cable?? For $400+ install it's seems like a good add-on for a boat with my performance level (not real fast but fast enough to worry about steering at speed!).

Thanks
Luxy

Any recommendations on a mfg. also appreciated.

Last edited by Luxy60; 08-04-2002 at 09:18 PM.

Old 08-04-2002, 04:50 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luxy, I'm running a 24 Outlaw, and I've had the Drew Stabilizer for several years now. I think it helps quite a bit with the wander at low speeds, and two weeks ago when I broke my gimble ring I'm positive it saved me, my crew, and my boat from injury. Also, you can ask several of my passengers how it helps at high speeds. I can let go of the wheel if I have to (I don't like to, but sometimes you have to). In fact, last week BGIII and I were running next to eachother in 3-4 foot swells on Lake Michigan and my crew and I all did the roller coaster hands in the air thing at 50+ mph (for a few seconds). BGIII was steering like a maniac. My boat never moved off course, not a bit. If you talk to Drew on the phone, he'll tell you to install 2 for anything over 300 hp and 60 mph. I've been running one for years though.......take that as you will (as in that's a $400 savings eh??).

Mike
Old 08-04-2002, 05:20 PM
Registered

I personally do not advice Drew stabilizer.I do not think it works.

material used in the product is not good for salty water.All screws gone in 3 months.(screws on the piston)

I did not have any positive or negative feel.actually I felt nothing.

Waterfoul: it is the first time I read smthng nice about this sytem.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:14 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I'm running in fresh water, so no salt issues. And I'm not sure why you would have had any issues. Screws?? I don't see any on mine. Two bolts on the transom (stainless), two on top of the drive (stainless), and one connecting the drive to the stabilizer (also stainless). I believe Dean Ferry is also running one on his boat in Florida, and is also happy with the results. Jafo is running two on his 24 Formula twin engine, and also likes the results.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:54 PM
Registered

I am thinking of adding one also....I realize that the Full hydraulic system is the way to go BUT....For a boat running 60mph and with an alpha I think that your options are limited...To me the main thing is the safety factor. Is there anything else out there to offer the protection for your steering? Secondly if it improves the steering much at all it is a pluse. And for 1/5th the price is there anything close? ANYTHING.....If so I would be very interested to hear before I buy....

"Bad-Habit"
Old 08-05-2002, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

I have two on a F242LS Formula with twin SBC's and Alphas- no issues with corrosion, and they helped a great deal with the boat's handling at speed.
I do have a slight torque steer since the boat is non counter-rotating, but that is not something the stabilizers were designed to clear up in the first place.
I'm glad I installed them- peace of mind without the enormous expense of hydraulic steering (I wouldn't do hydraulic unless it was helm to stern, and decided it was not worth the expense with this boat.)
Old 08-05-2002, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Drew stabilzers

Added a pair to my 28ft Scarab that runs 75mph. The stablizers have worked out well, boat is definetly more stable. They seem to be quality materials, let you know in a year or so!
I do run in salt water, but the boat is trailered, flushed and washed after each use so there really shouldn't be any corrosion problems.

Last edited by TomR; 08-05-2002 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:09 AM
Luxy60

Jafo - I agree on the full hydraulic to the helm. If I had a real high power/ speed rig that would be the way to go. My steering tends to wander some at idle/ low speed and when trimmed up. Thought that the stabilizer might help and sounds as though it does. Did you guys install yourself or have a mechanic do it and what did it run you for the single/ dual installs??

Is drew the only mfg'er??

Old 08-05-2002, 11:52 AM
Registered

Installed myself, very easy, just make sure that you check inside of the engine compartment for hoses, wires etc, before you drill.
The instructions were ok, but you can call Drew himself if you have questions. I did, and he put me right on track.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:58 AM
Registered

Luxy,
If you are interested the 3rd annual Rhode Island Poker Run is this coming Saturday, 8/10/02 if you are interested e-mail me: [email protected]

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizers??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.