Steering problem, Any advice?

Notices

Steering problem, Any advice?

Old 08-06-2002, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay
I never took the lines off the steering box at the transom no
I took them off the cooler, and too the PS pump and laid it off to the side of the engine before I yanked them out.
when I was idling, I went side to side to side to side to side to side in case there was air in the lines, I figured I could bleed it out by going back and forth
Did that what felt to be 100 times and no luck
still tight
Ill yank the steering cable off and take it from there
Now to make the video of the run
Jason
Old 08-07-2002, 09:42 AM
Registered

Well I tried yesterday to take the cable off the Power assist unit
Had no luck
I took the retainer plate off and then tried to back out the cable, the threaded piece on the end of the cable does not turn independantly of the cable itself so it wanted to turn the entire cable.
That cant work cause it is not moving up front. so it would have twisted the whole thing.
So I greased the shafts up with PB breaker and reinstalled the retainer plate.
I did notice that the one sleeve is connected to the other sleeve with a rubber boot that looks to have grease in it.
It wiggles a little bit but is attached pretty solidly.
I took apart the whole dash panel and steering wheel assembly and could not find anywhere to grease up the helm unit at all.
I did spray some pb breaker inside the steering hub through the sight glass and just worked it back and forth about 100 times.
seemed with no engine running it was a tough as when I was out in the water with it while the engine was running.
It did free up a little bit with the PB breaker spray but not that much but I cant tell you if it will feel different if engine is running.
Did not start engine last night.
if I have to drive it tight then I have to drive it tight.
wont thrill me but Ill deal with it.
I dont think im going to replace anything on this, if I do im going to move to a hydraulic steering system and can this power assist crap from 1965 model cars.
will feel more comfortable with twin ram steering anyway rather than trying to control 1000 HP with a stupid cable anyway.

Any thoughts or advice???
Thanks
Jason
Old 08-07-2002, 10:21 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

And you though that risers were expensive!!!! External steering will run ya upwards of 4 grand by the time you are done with it Anyhow disconnect the steering at the drive tillers then you will be able to narrow were it is binding. That should help out with your search. My guess is that it is a cable issue because if it was a drive issue the power assist would take over and make it move easily. However it is a simple thing to test by just disconnecting the things at the tillers.

Jon
Old 08-07-2002, 10:40 PM
Registered

Like Audiofn said disconnect steering cable from power steering control valve clevis .On mine when I bought it someone I guess when they installed the motor must have let the motor down on the steering cable guide tube and bent it and I could not even get the cable out,had to cut cable and replace guide tube.When I got the cable end out of the guide tube rolled it on a steel table and it looked like it rolled true but all it must take is being out a C hair to bind.Good luck
Old 08-08-2002, 08:20 AM
Registered

Well I was going to tackle this and the oil changes yesterday afternoon after I got home from work but the wife had a siding salesman show up and he parked his ass on my sofa for about 3 and a half hours rattling on about how good his siding is and blah blah
house siding surface (half is stone and stucco) so 22 sq of siding needed was 27000 bucks
Hell I could get blowers, new trailer, new canvas cockpit cover and new paint, new gauges with anodized bezels, new steering wheel, new Kiekhafer shifters, and www.ultimatemarinepanels.com setup on there with new tv, dvd player and a small small generator

27 grand
Get the HELL out of my house

So now lets see if I can take this apart tonight with no salesman around
Jason
Old 08-08-2002, 11:42 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jayl13,
At that price it must be "MARINE" siding
Unless siding skyrocketed in price , three years ago I had mine done + removing 2 old rooves and a new roof put on along with some wood replaced and paid 15K. And I'm only across the river from you.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:17 AM
Registered

Well here is the latest
I was poking around and around yesterday and I found that the port side tiller arm is really loose
I undid the tie bar and the drive moves by itself a few inches side to side
I know the gimbal ring and swivel shaft were replaced not that long ago cause it used to be tight
The tiller arm moved up and down with ease so this is NOT GOOD.
I am going to pull the plastic plug on the side of the transom assembly where they drilled to replace the gimbal and swivel to get the nut out of there, See if I can get to the bolt that tightens up the tiller arm on the swivel shaft that way?
You guys know if the bolt on the tiller arm is in front or behind the swivel shaft?
can you get to it from that plug hole?
Has to be a way to tighten it up.
When I bought the boat it was tight and it has been out for 15 minutes, no way it can go south that fast.
Audio, any ideas?
I want to take it out tomorrow and need this crap to work
thanks bro
Jason
Old 08-09-2002, 09:18 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Jay man you are right on the correct track. Take out those plastic plugs and you will see the bolt you have to tighten right there. I can not remember the torque specs on that. HOWEVER that is not likely why your steering is so thight however. So you still have some searching to do on that problem. Good luck

Jon
Old 08-09-2002, 09:23 AM
Registered

Cool man, thanks
That is what I was thinking, if you grab the tiller arm on inside of port side, and you can move it up and down about an inch and swing the drive with the tie bar off about 3 inches each direction.
It is possible the engine hit that tiller arm when dropping it in, so it may have come loose, no huge deal
Hey You get pics of Kurt's baja?
I really want to see it,
Granted I love the cig dont get me wrong, but that put me on same plane as another member until he upped himself to a cig.
just wanna see what his looked like.
Thanks man
Jason
Ps that swivel shaft was replaced with the gimbal ring about 2 yrs ago so I know it is just loose
Jason
Old 08-09-2002, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look in there very closely and see if the tiller arm is moving on the upper steering shaft or the tiller arm and upper steering shaft is moving on the gimbal ring. The gimbal ring to steering shaft is the usual culprit and the u-bolt nuts need to be tightened regularily to keep from wiping out the gimbal ring square.
Tom

Quick Reply: Steering problem, Any advice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.