Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Should there be oil on spark plug threads? >

Should there be oil on spark plug threads?

Notices

Should there be oil on spark plug threads?

Old 08-05-2002, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Should there be oil on spark plug threads?

After having motors rebuilt, 502s with prochargers, it was running very rich. It would flood out at the turn of the key when starting. I would have to pull at least 3 plugs to dry them off of fuel. Then it would start but have to run 2000 rpm to clear it out. This was after only about 3-5 hrs of use. As I look back I did question if it was gas or oil. I say this because I wiped it off with my fingers and it felt like oil, but I figuered it couldn't be.

I continued having this "flooding problem " and also when coming off plane down to about 2000 rpm there would be alot of black smoke. When I bring it down to idle speed the smoking stops. Also when running it sounds like it is flooding.

Also, after changing from 20-50 mineral oil after 10 hrs. of break-in, to Mobil 1 15-50 I noticed a slight increase in oil pressure. After another 8 -10 hrs of use, the pressure slowely started to drop. Running was at 50 lbs. After running at cruising for a while, 3300rpm, it would drop to about 40. When I would come down to idle speed it would drop to 20 then cool and climb to 30-35. This past weekend the drop going from cruising speed down to ide the pressure would drop to almost 0. When I tapped the throttle up it would read 20 till the oil cooled then stay at 25-30.

I started the boat this morning and now I have blue smoke and a slight sheen of oil on the water. Got it to the ramp, got home and checked the plugs. I have only done one from each motor, but they are both covered in oil.

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2002, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey ken...sorry to hear about your motor troubles...see my thread...we're in the same boat so to speak...

What are you oil temps? Before I spun a bearing in the 540, my temps were near 240 and oil pressure would drop as I ran it...to the point when I would com eoff plane, it would be about 10-15 lbs...so although I can't be much help, here just be careful with the oil pressures...
Old 08-05-2002, 05:13 PM
Registered

I saw Gary at Claudios on Sat. and he told me your story. I don't know what my oil temps are but never had a problem before.

This is getting rediculous!
Old 08-05-2002, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup...i dunno about you, but i'm at my wit's end. I'm ready to sell the boat and buy a Harley...
Old 08-05-2002, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed gaffrig oil temp guages on both motors for $100, including senders. That is money well spent!! You clearly have an oil temp problem that will ruin your engine if not diagnosed soon. Could be as simple as oil lines reversed or as dangerous as detonation. Either way... procede with caution. Sorry for the grim opinion, but I have fought the oil temp battle and lost. I live by them now.

BT
Old 08-05-2002, 07:54 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I doubt that is oil on your plugs. It sounds more like fuel. Be careful when running a motor too rich, the fuel can wipe off that thin film of oil on your cylinder walls, and cause the bore and or rings to wear out real fast. Are your motors EFI or carb??
Old 08-05-2002, 08:09 PM
Registered

These are carb motors and it is oil.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:50 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Lean down the carb first and then change the oil and see if the pressure comes back. It could be running so rich now that raw unburned gas is going past the rings and thinning the oil. A too rich mixture will also carbon up the combustion chamber and cause detonation. Not a good thing with a blower motor, or any motor for that matter. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:21 PM
Registered

What concerns me is the blue smoke and oil shine on the water.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:32 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Sounds like the rings are shot from too much gas in the mixture. Sorry.

Quick Reply: Should there be oil on spark plug threads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.