stall's after lunch >

stall's after lunch

Notices

stall's after lunch

Old 08-05-2002, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stall's after lunch

Got great help from this board on my last issue, however a new issue has come up and could use some help from the group if possible.

Originally, had raw fuel out of the exhaust. Went after the diaphram in the VST Tank which did correct the problem. As general maintenance I also replaced the fuel separator and changed the engine oil. No more raw fuel. However, I took the boat out, it ran great for 3-4 hours. I shut the boat off for lunch, a few beers, etc. When I come out to start the boat, it will start fine, as I idle out of the docks and start on my way, after about 5 min. of idling through the no wake zone, the boat stalls. When restarted, the boat run's like s*** and when the throttle is advanced, nothing....the engine will backfire, spudder, etc. If I continue to play with the throttle and feather or just let it idle for a few minutes, sometimes it clears up and then it is fine for another 3-4 hours until the boat is shut off again. If it does not clear up and stall's again, I have taken the fuel separator off and found it only 1/2 full. Once I fill the separator the boat will start.

I have owned this boat for 5 years and have never had a vapor lock issue with the boat ever. I think the diaphram install on the VST tank was pretty much a no-brainer. I have also changed the anti-siphon valve, installed a new fuel lift pump, and made sure the breather hose to the fuel tank was clear to eliminate those as possible suspects.

Everyone I talk to says vapor lock, however, I have never had any issues prior to this year. I have also heard that installing the spring incorrectly at the diaphram on the VST can also cause all kinds of problems. In the Mercruiser Manual it shows 2 different ways to install the diaphram, of course I did not read the manual until after I put the darn thing back together and had another issue. typical.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to tell you 502 MPI