Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Vent Line From Cool Fuel System? >

Vent Line From Cool Fuel System?

Notices

Vent Line From Cool Fuel System?

Old 08-06-2002, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vent Line From Cool Fuel System?

Where does the vent line that comes from the cool fuel system go? I just found mine lying in the bilge, one end hooked up to the cool fuel housing and the other end hanging loose in the bilge. I assume it is a vent line of some sorts that must terminate in the intake manifold somewhere. It used to be attached to something because I can see that the end of the hose is deformed like it was on a barb fitting at some time. The bottom of the bilge smelled like fuel so I wont run the boat untill I figure this out.

By the way the engine is a '99 502 EFI with the Cool Fuel system instead of the VST Tank

Ron
Old 08-06-2002, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rj,

I had that happen to mine too, if we're talking about the same thing. On mine, the hose goes to intake plenum, bottom port side. There's a hose barb on the underside to which it connects. The hose goes to the fuel pressure regulator. With the hose off, I believe the regulator puts out full pressure, like when you open the throttle fully which reduces the vacuum in the plenum. As a result of this hose being off, you probably have a sooty transom? Use a cable tie to help retain this hose to the barb. Did you ever get your depth guage sorted? Mine still reads the proper depth about 5% of the time. If you look under your dash, the wire harness for the instruments rests on the quick disconnect for the transducer input. Mine vibrates loose constantly and the guage will be blank with the exception of the "FT". Still though, it almost always indicates 1.4 - 1.6 ft regardless of actual depth.

Best Regards,

Mark
Old 08-06-2002, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Breath,

I dug up a service manual for the engine and it is a vacuum line. It says it goes to the throttle body but does not have a diagram as to where. I will look around tomorrow in the light and Im sure I will find it. It was routed from the fuel cooler then foward through the offshore engine mount. I assume it should be routed this way to the front of the engine to get to the throttle body. However things are not always the way they seem so I will check under the plenum also. Thanks for the info. I probably pulled it loose when I removed all the water hoses on the engine to flush out my sand fiasco.

On the depth finder, I located the transducer and it appears to be firmly mounted to the hull. All the wires going to it look good. I looked under the dash to check the wires on the back of the gauge first but they looked fine. I will look to see if the weight of the harness is pulling the quick connector out. I bet this is the case because everything else looks good. I am still getting the same symptons as you.

Thanks for your help,

Ron
Old 08-07-2002, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron,

As you're looking at the engine while kneeling on the rear seat, there should be a hose barb on the underside of the plenum, just to the right of the thermostat housing. Place your hand on the underside of the plenum and you should be able to feel it. Mine's a 99 with cool fuel also. Regarding the depth guage, the first time I removed the deck access plate, the transducer was lying on it's side. The bond had failed due to fiberglass dust and debris. I rebonded the transducer with the recommended two part epoxy from Livorsi Marine. The unit still performs marginally. I've heard from several sources that the hull is quite thick where the unit is mounted. I'm contemplating purchasing another transducer and experimenting with mounting locations by holding the unit firmly to the inside hull surface.

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited by Breathe Later; 08-07-2002 at 02:11 PM.