Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
lightning header reversion >

lightning header reversion

Notices

lightning header reversion

Old 08-07-2002, 09:07 PM
merkruzer

Default lightning header reversion

Has anyone had a reversion problem with the lightning headers?
I installed a set about 2 years ago, and I didnt seem to have any trouble. Just installed a 509, brodix heads, 9.2:1 crane hyd roller
.610/ .587 226/234, and noticed water droplets on the #7 plug.
I pulled the header and found water in #5 and #7, so I checked the other side and also found water in #6 and #8 all lower tubes in the header. This got me thinking so I looked at the old stock heads and there were sighns of water in all four ports also. I am afraid to put them back on , my engine builder says there is not enough overlap to cause reversion, unless the headers are a bad design Any Ideas.
I cant seem to find any good headers for the weekend

Old 08-07-2002, 09:54 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went over this with Jay at lightning. I'm running a cam that's simular to your cam and my builder also said that reversion wouldn't be likely. Well Jay was adament that unless I went with his 3" taller header that I would definetly would experience reversion. He said that the reduced water option would reduce, but not eliminate the reversion.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:37 AM
merkruzer

Default stock

What about the rust on the stock heads? That was a bone stock 502 efi and all ports are rusty. Do you have a ph# on them?
Thanks steve

Old 08-08-2002, 07:38 AM
merkruzer

all four rear ports that is

Old 08-08-2002, 08:47 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

1-909-678-5631 Before calling, I'd do a pressure test to see if you have a cracked tube.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:48 AM
ursus

Merc went to 3" taller risers on the HP500 because of reversion in some cases with the 222/230 degree cam, anyone who tells yah 234 of exhaust is no problem doesn't know what they are talking about, in most cases the ammount of water is small and you get a way with it for a few seasons but the reversion/water will be there.

Old 08-08-2002, 09:25 AM
Brad Perry

I ran a set of CMI TPS headers (all one piece, no elbow joint) with the crane 587/610, 226/236, 112 cam and never noticed any issues. I went to the lightnings for their slightly larger size vs cost compared to my older CMIs. They appear to have a similar rise and water exit location (no silent choice).

I am now running a larger motor with a lot more cam (114LS though) and don't notice anything out of the ordinary about the plugs. Do I need to actually pull a header after running to see if I have reversion? What are the consequences of minor reversion?

I have been told that the blower on top is settling out the lopiness of my cam and that it would be much more choppy with out the blower. Does this have an effect on the chances of reversion too?

Thanks.

Old 08-08-2002, 10:56 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I believe that you have to pull the header and look in the port for water. I doubt that you would see it on the plug unless it was really bad. If you revert water often enough there is the chance of crystalizing the exhaust valve and breaking the head off.